Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
r If the guy is a second baseman and centerfielder, I am led to believe that he isn't that great at eitheposition-particularly second. If the guy was a really good middle infielder, the club w/have left him there because middle infield is vital.If they're moving him off to look at other people at second, what does that tell you?

I am perfectly happy for Roberts to start the season w/the Orioles. If Cedeno isn't that great, I don't want that deal because the other players mentioned are no great shakes either.I'd only trade Brian Roberts in a deal that nets us a starting second baseman or shortstop.We have enough pitchers and outfielders.

Excellent point. And also if Pie was as sure thing in their eyes maybe they wouldn't be looking at Patterson in CF. I wouldn't be surprised if Pie turns out to be closer to CPat as a major leaguer. IMO.

This is my first post here, but I've been reading all of the posts on Bedard and Roberts for awhile. I don't think there is any way you guys are going to get 4 players from the Cubs for Roberts. I'm not an "insider", but everything that I've read basically says Pie and/or Colvin won't be part of this trade. I think McPhail will have to pick from 3 of the usual names mentioned: Gallagher, Cedeno, Patterson, Marshall, Murton, and Marquis (if a veteran pitcher is desired). As for adding Payton or Sherrill to the deal, I would think Marquis would definitely be added to balance salaries. We would love to have Roberts for a variety of reasons, but Piniella and Hendry feel comfortable with DeRosa at 2B.

This is my first post here, but I've been reading all of the posts on Bedard and Roberts for awhile. I don't think there is any way you guys are going to get 4 players from the Cubs for Roberts. I'm not an "insider", but everything that I've read basically says Pie and/or Colvin won't be part of this trade. I think McPhail will have to pick from 3 of the usual names mentioned: Gallagher, Cedeno, Patterson, Marshall, Murton, and Marquis (if a veteran pitcher is desired). As for adding Payton or Sherrill to the deal, I would think Marquis would definitely be added to balance salaries. We would love to have Roberts for a variety of reasons, but Piniella and Hendry feel comfortable with DeRosa at 2B.

Sherrill won't be coming back. I favor a deal structured like this:

Roberts/Payton + cash

for

Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno/Fontenot/C prospect

I think this is fair and gets us some desperately needed help in the middle infield.

Have you read today's Tribune or yesterday's Herald? What do you think of the writers take in those articles?

Here's what I was told as of last evening:

For the most part the FO does not feel the Cubs are a great match a this time.

They like Gallagher alot and he will be included in any deal.

Any deal will most likely require Payton going to the Cubs.

Gallagher is really the only pitcher we would look to get for the Cubs. They Cubs are giving away Mutton and Cedeno for the most part. They would moist likely be included in any deal.

For the 4th piece we would be looking for a non 40 man roster player. Colvin is the guy we've wanted. After Reimold the minor league system is pretty weak concerning outfield prospects. We feel we already have over a dozen young pitchers in the system better than Veal who is projected to be a reliever by many.

No word on a 5th player.

Bottom line is if the Cubs would take a deal of Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno, and Colvin for Roberts and Payton there is a chance of it happening.

My guys personal opinion is Roberts remains an O and we try to extend him.

Read into this as little or as much as you want.

Thanks BB. I think that is the exact approach the O's need to take at this point. If you can get Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno, and Colvin for Brob, you pull the trigger. But if it's anything less than that, then you try and extend him. I have no issue with Roberts leading off for this team on OD.

Here's what I was told as of last evening:

For the most part the FO does not feel the Cubs are a great match a this time.

They like Gallagher alot and he will be included in any deal.

Any deal will most likely require Payton going to the Cubs.

Gallagher is really the only pitcher we would look to get for the Cubs. They Cubs are giving away Mutton and Cedeno for the most part. They would moist likely be included in any deal.

For the 4th piece we would be looking for a non 40 man roster player. Colvin is the guy we've wanted. After Reimold the minor league system is pretty weak concerning outfield prospects. We feel we already have over a dozen young pitchers in the system better than Veal who is projected to be a reliever by many.

No word on a 5th player.

Bottom line is if the Cubs would take a deal of Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno, and Colvin for Roberts and Payton there is a chance of it happening.

My guys personal opinion is Roberts remains an O and we try to extend him.

Read into this as little or as much as you want.

Good stuff bb! Are the O's not interested in Eric Patterson at all? Trading Roberts for that package is certainly a nice haul, but it would create a huge hole in the leadoff spot. And is there any truth to the Millar/Gotay trade you brought up earlier? Thanks!

Archived