Pre-season Draft Rankings...

I am fond of High School bats in the early rounds, at least I often do, and this year if we were to grab Beckham, Alvarez, Smoak, Hosmer or any other touted positional prospect we could still take another in round 2. I base these thoughts on the good core of young arms and far less posirional strength in our system, however Jordan will/should take the best player on the board regardless of position.

I like a few kids that could be real good, although not projected as first rounders at this juncture, they could move into 2nd-3rd round consideration, if not higher;

Cutter Dykstra 2B R-R 6-0 175 High School (CA) Yes, Lenny's son. Hard nosed, with a good bat.

Kyle Long 1B L-L 6-7 280 High School (VA) Yes, Howie's son. Monstrous power.

Brett Mooneyham lhp L-L 6-4 215 High School (CA) Projectable lefty could go in round one quite easily if he pitches to his considerable projection.

I'm pretty sure there's already ten or so compensatory first round picks, dropping our 2nd round pick to somewhere around #44-46.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going to wait until the amateur season was well under way for my first mock, but as a (very) preliminary shoot...

1. Tampa Bay Rays > Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vandebilt

2. Pittsburgh Pirates > Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

3. Kansas City Royals > Aaron Crow, RHSP, Missouri

4. Baltimore Orioles > Tim Beckham, SS, High School (GA)

5. San Francisco Giants > Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

6. Florida Marlins > Eric Hosmer, 1B, High School (FL)

7. Cincinnati Reds > Tim Nelville, RHSP, High School (MO)

8. Chicago White Sox > Yonder Alonso, 1B/DH, Miami

9. Washington Nationals > Harold Martinez, 3B, High School (FL)

10. Houston Astros > Aaron Hicks, RHSP/OF, High School (CA)

This is right where I want to be. I think we should take the best position prospect at our time no matter what position except for C.

Is there any Marylanders supposed to be going in the 1st three rounds?

This is right where I want to be. I think we should take the best position prospect at our time no matter what position except for C.

Greg's read more than I have. I might be missing someone. But I think Tyler Hibbs is the top HS prospect out of MD. Get this: He's a pitcher/3B. In 57 innings pitched at Arundel High, he struck out 86 batters. In 89 at bats, he didn't strike out once! He batted .584.

I have no idea where he projects. The only thing I found said Top 10 rounds. But I suppose like a lot of HS'ers, it'll partially depend on how committed he is to school (Florida State).

He's not from Maryland, but Mitch Harris from the Naval Academy will go in the early rounds.

Greg's read more than I have. I might be missing someone. But I think Tyler Hibbs is the top HS prospect out of MD. Get this: He's a pitcher/3B. In 57 innings pitched at Arundel High, he struck out 86 batters. In 89 at bats, he didn't strike out once! He batted .584.

Quite impressive...thanks.

I was going to wait until the amateur season was well under way for my first mock, but as a (very) preliminary shoot...

1. Tampa Bay Rays > Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vandebilt

2. Pittsburgh Pirates > Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

3. Kansas City Royals > Aaron Crow, RHSP, Missouri

4. Baltimore Orioles > Tim Beckham, SS, High School (GA)

5. San Francisco Giants > Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

6. Florida Marlins > Eric Hosmer, 1B, High School (FL)

7. Cincinnati Reds > Tim Nelville, RHSP, High School (MO)

8. Chicago White Sox > Yonder Alonso, 1B/DH, Miami

9. Washington Nationals > Harold Martinez, 3B, High School (FL)

10. Houston Astros > Aaron Hicks, RHSP/OF, High School (CA)

I am starting to like the idea of drafting Beckham more and more everytime I read about him. What do you think the time table is for Beckham to reach the bigs? Are you thinking 3-4 years?

Baseball America just released their Top 100 draft prospects for H.S. and College.

No MD guys in the H.S. list but the top 3 localish guys would be..

29. Scott Silverstein lhp L-L 6-5 210 St. John's College HS, Washington, D.C.

36. L.J. Hoes of R-R 6-0 175 St. John's College HS, Washington, D.C.

and Howie's other kid..

58. Kyle Long lhp/1b L-L 6-7 280 Saint Anne's-Belfield HS, Charlottesville, Va.

on the College list

11. Jacob Thompson rhp Jr. R-R 6-6 215 Virginia

29. Mitch Harris rhp Sr. R-R 6-4 215 Navy

52. David Adams 2b Jr. R-R 6-2 210 Virginia

66. Jeremy Farrell 3b Jr. R-R 6-4 215 Virginia

I have no idea where he projects. The only thing I found said Top 10 rounds. But I suppose like a lot of HS'ers, it'll partially depend on how committed he is to school (Florida State).

He's not from Maryland, but Mitch Harris from the Naval Academy will go in the early rounds.

Yeah, this is a down year for Marylanders, although not too far away in tiny Seaford, DE is a SS prospect that has me particularly intrigued; Derrik Gibson.

This past fall during the WWBA (World Wood Bat Assoc.) Fall Championship Tournament in Jupiter, Fla., which ran Oct. 25-29, the 6'1 170 lbs Gibson was outstanding, and was under consideration for Tourney MVP, which went to stud 1B prospect Eric Hosmer. Gibson players for the Orioles Scout Team and went 9-19, with three doubles and two triples. Derrik is a tremendous athlete, able to play CF as well as SS and is a UNC Tar Heel signee.

From PerfectGame.org 10/28/07...

"Shortstop Derrick Gibson (Seaford, Del., HS) was one of the tournament’s top offensive performers in pool play and had more four hits in the two playoff wins for the Orioles while stealing three bases."

BA has him preliminarily ranked as the 39th best H.S.'er, while Perfect Game has him as the preseason 101st overall draft-eligible youngster.

I am starting to like the idea of drafting Beckham more and more everytime I read about him. What do you think the time table is for Beckham to reach the bigs? Are you thinking 3-4 years?

Waaay too early... but there are many cases of top HS'ers moving very quickly through the minors. Four years is a fair guess at this juncture.

I played high school ball against Hibbs. Keep in mind that he's only about 5'8, maybe 160 lbs dripping wet, and hasn't really grown since his freshman year.

He's the definition of an overhyped Arundel product. Sorry if any Arundel guys are reading this, but Arundel's baseball program has a tendency to overhype their players.

With Hibbs, you're getting an unprojectable body, a low-mid 80's fastball, and a very good curveball. His offensive numbers are inflated because he didn't really face much pitching in Anne Arundel county, as there really isn't any elite talent that I've seen.

Some Anne Arundel county guys to keep an eye on besides Hibbs are recent Graduates Chris Moore-RHP/CF out of Chesapeake, and Shawn Pleffner-1b/LHP out of Arundel. Pleffner looks like a good power bat.

Another somewhat local kid to add to the list is Mike Bianucci OF from Auburn. He graduated form Woodson H.S. in Fairfax, VA. Drafted last year by the Angels in the 23rd round. Projected to go higher but apparently salary expectations/signability (likes Auburn apparently) made him drop.

Baseball America just released their Top 100 draft prospects for H.S. and College.

and Howie's other kid..

on the College list

The Silverstein kid is 6'6" 225lbs and was selected as both an AFLAC and Louisville Slugger All-American. He has been clocked at 93 mph and should be viewed as a first round pick unless he decides to attend UVA.

I played high school ball against Hibbs. Keep in mind that he's only about 5'8, maybe 160 lbs dripping wet, and hasn't really grown since his freshman year.

He's the definition of an overhyped Arundel product. Sorry if any Arundel guys are reading this, but Arundel's baseball program has a tendency to overhype their players.

With Hibbs, you're getting an unprojectable body, a low-mid 80's fastball, and a very good curveball. His offensive numbers are inflated because he didn't really face much pitching in Anne Arundel county, as there really isn't any elite talent that I've seen.

Some Anne Arundel county guys to keep an eye on besides Hibbs are recent Graduates Chris Moore-RHP/CF out of Chesapeake, and Shawn Pleffner-1b/LHP out of Arundel. Pleffner looks like a good power bat.

Hibbs is a good local talent -- but on a national scale he is viewed as lower tier Division 1 --

and Howie's other kid..

on the College list

I currently play against Hoes and Silverstein on a regular basis. They are damn good. Especially Hoes. Nothing but line drives. Silverstein hits 92-94 on a regular basis. Both solid, good attitudees.

Hibbs is a good local talent -- but on a national scale he is viewed as lower tier Division 1 --

Not sure I'd give him that much credit. I'm really not impressed by him at all, and this comes from seeing him play fairly frequently. He has talent, but he's only a good high school player. I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't succeed at Florida State, and I'll guarantee that he never plays a major league game.

Sorry if I'm coming off as standoff-ish, but all I hear is the hype around him, and it is definitely undeserved.

Archived