Casey Stern "O's ownership doesn't want to win they just want your money"

sambowen

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any one who makes these two statements" I know I am get attacked" and " losing the arguably best reliever in club history"(Greg Olson, Randy Myers, Stu Miller, and Hoyt Willhelm, among others say hello) deserves to be dismissed.

Yeah I thought it was funny that a guy who played for the team for 2 1/2 months is supposedly the greatest reliever in club history.

You really want to sign a guy to a long term contract whos going to have neck surgery a couple weeks after?

Letting Markakis go was the smart move. And he is easily replaceable. I don't know where this idea that a .270/15 home run guy is somehow the cornerstone of the franchise came from.

In principle I agree that Nick is replaceable. I don't think we have his replacement currently on the roster. De Aza and a righty platoon outfielder can replace Nick's bat and would be fine for LF, but De Aza doesn't have the arm for RF in my opinion.

We have six starting pitchers, and one of them should be enough to bring back an adequate RF in a trade. Until it happens, though, it's understandable that people will worry that DD is going to hold out too long to get a bargain, as opposed to a merely fair trade, and that as a result we're going to wind up with David Lough as our right fielder.

The big problem I have with all of this is this. IF we weren't good enough to win the whole thing last year, how is losing our best hitter, reliever, and RF going to make us better? We were so close. So close. To then have your team gutted in this way? I just do not understand it. You absolutely had to sign Cruz at the very least, and hopefully Miller as well. Combine those two with the returning players like Wieters and Manny? And imo we were the WS favorites. Now? We aren't even the favorites to win our division. And 2015 is right around the corner. And we know what that means.

I wrote it earlier but I really think if Manny and Wieters had stayed healthy, and Davis had had a pretty good year, and we had just missed out on winning the WS? The pressure from the media and fans to get over that final hump would have forced the FO to sign Cruz and Miller. But since we got swept in the ALCS? The FO can say that Cruz and Millers production can be made up from those returning players. It really is a shame. I think the backlash from all this is going to hurt way more than the past 15 years has. We finally got to taste it, and then it was snatched away.

I think ownership wants to win, wants badly to do right by the city of Bmore and Os fans.

I also think management is usually a reflection of the priorities of the owner.

I think our current ownership, through the Os and MASN, is making large amounts of $.

I think our FO should have more dollars available to spend on bigger $ international prospects. I think the payroll commitment/budget should be larger at the major league level.

The big problem I have with all of this is this. IF we weren't good enough to win the whole thing last year, how is losing our best hitter, reliever, and RF going to make us better? We were so close. So close. To then have your team gutted in this way? I just do not understand it. You absolutely had to sign Cruz at the very least, and hopefully Miller as well. Combine those two with the returning players like Wieters and Manny? And imo we were the WS favorites. Now? We aren't even the favorites to win our division. And 2015 is right around the corner. And we know what that means.

I wrote it earlier but I really think if Manny and Wieters had stayed healthy, and Davis had had a pretty good year, and we had just missed out on winning the WS? The pressure from the media and fans to get over that final hump would have forced the FO to sign Cruz and Miller. But since we got swept in the ALCS? The FO can say that Cruz and Millers production can be made up from those returning players. It really is a shame. I think the backlash from all this is going to hurt way more than the past 15 years has. We finally got to taste it, and then it was snatched away.

If you could sign Cruz, Markakis, and Miller, to two year contracts this would be true.

Cruz is well past the wrong side of 30 and relievers are notoriously up and down season to season. And that's where you would put your money?

The uncritical defense of the Orioles FO often reaches pathological levels.

This isn't about weams, but about the amazing weirdness that happens whenever anyone critiques the Orioles FO.

The Orioles generally don't behave like a team that wants to win consistently.

Sluggish movement in the offseason.

Refusal to actually pay market value for a proven impact talent.

No real pitching aces on the squad.

Over-reliance upon the bullpen.

Generally botches basic negotiations with players.

Waits until all the good players are gone and then tries to field a team of "Ifs" backed up by AAAA talent.

Entire strategic philosophy is based on a player having a career year.

I really don't understand that way of thinking.

MSK

"I really don't understand that way of thinking". That could be because you don't understand their way of thinking. Markakis is not worth 4/44 M, Cruz is not worth 4/57M and Miller is not worth 4/36 M. How hard is that to get? Who else is worth their price so gar?

I don't even see the point in bashing Peter Angelos anymore. I'm under the impression he's effectively handed the reigns over to his son John. Bash him if you must, Casey.

Quick Google on Casey Stern: he used to be an executive recruiter, appears to be an avid fantasy sports fan, and was one of the contestants on ESPN's Dream Job. I don't see anything about him that says he really knows what he's talking about. He's an entertainer.

I hold these truths to be self evident:

1) The Angelos does care more about money than winning, but he does care about winning.

2) That Dan Duquette knows how to manage a team with a mid market budget.

3) The Dan Duquette's O's offseasons are brutal to go through.

4) The December is a bad time to judge a Dan Duquette off season.

5) That refusing to give Markakis a 4 year contract with back fusion surgery about to happen was probably good management.

6) That though Cruz will be missed over the next two years, the history of large 4 year contracts to 34 year old players is not good.

7) That if O's fans wait until Opening Day to judge the O's offseason that the Duquette/Showalter management generally make us feel good about the O's ability to compete.

The big problem I have with all of this is this. IF we weren't ...

Lucky enough. That's what the facts are. We were good enough. We won more games than either of the teams who played for the World Series. Without our All Star switching hitting catcher and Platinum glove phenom third baseman. And without our former league leader in home runs. Not 40. But 53.

I don't even see the point in bashing Peter Angelos anymore. I'm under the impression he's effectively handed the reigns over to his son John. Bash him if you must, Casey.

Quick Google on Casey Stern: he used to be an executive recruiter, appears to be an avid fantasy sports fan, and was one of the contestants on ESPN's Dream Job. I don't see anything about him that says he really knows what he's talking about. He's an entertainer.

I know you are right.

Archived