Casey Stern "O's ownership doesn't want to win they just want your money"

sambowen

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but the statement that "The team wants your money and doesn't want to win" is one of the dumbest #$%@ing statements that a sports fan can make. Let it be known I'm not implying any particular poster here is dumb, I'm just saying that statment is flat out @#$%ing stupid.

The teams stands to make more money when the team is winning. Adjusting for inflation, which team made more? Some dumb team like the 2003 Orioles or last years team that won the division? Which team sold more tickets, sold more concessions, sold more merchandise? Which team had playoff games to increase revenue? WHICH TEAM STANDS TO MAKE MORE MONEY?? THINK ABOUT IT. Use that 8 pound pile of #!@$ that sits on your shoulders.

Saying that a team cares just about your money and doesn't want to win is dumb and anyone who says that and believes it should take a second to think about it before just saying crap on a message board to make themselves feel better.

I'm a Redskins fan and I absolutely hate it. Nothing irks me more than other dumb Redskins fans who think they've caught on to some top secret plan that Dan Snyder just wants their money and doesn't care about winning. Really, Einstein? You think Dan Snyder *actually* wants a half empty stadium for a late season Rams game that has no playoff implications? You think doesn't want a home playoff game at Fed Ex field to be nationally televised? You think he doesn't want a winning team so he can....increase ticket prices? Do people that make statements like that stop to look around and realize how many people aren't buying Skins gear and aren't going to games because the team sucks so bad?

You know what? Keep thinking that Angelos just wants your money and doesn't want a winner. Really, keep thinkng that. You can also keep thinking the earth is flat and we never landed on the moon. Any other bright ideas you want to share with us while thinking that Angelos somehow doesn't want a winner?

The uncritical defense of the Orioles FO often reaches pathological levels.

This isn't about weams, but about the amazing weirdness that happens whenever anyone critiques the Orioles FO.

The Orioles generally don't behave like a team that wants to win consistently.

Sluggish movement in the offseason.

Refusal to actually pay market value for a proven impact talent.

No real pitching aces on the squad.

Over-reliance upon the bullpen.

Generally botches basic negotiations with players.

Waits until all the good players are gone and then tries to field a team of "Ifs" backed up by AAAA talent.

Entire strategic philosophy is based on a player having a career year.

I really don't understand that way of thinking.

MSK

Like many, you say that you "don't understand", when, in fact, what you mean is that you "don't agree." Which is fine. But I am concerned with results. You can win the fantasy game all you want. I will take actually winning on the field. When the Orioles win the AL East this year, I would like to hear you publicly admit that you were wrong about Dan and Buck's strategy.

I'm sorry but the statement that "The team wants your money and doesn't want to win" is one of the dumbest #$%@ing statements that a sports fan can make. Let it be known I'm not implying any particular poster here is dumb, I'm just saying that statment is flat out @#$%ing stupid.
But it was Casey Stern that said it.

THE Casey Stern

O.K. I've never heard of Casey Stern (and he's never heard of me which makes us even :D )

Nor do I care one bit about the uneducated opinion of a flippin' Mets fan. My Jersey in-laws are Mets fans and I tune them out as much as I can. The idea that I should care about what a Mets fan thinks absolutely boggles the mind.

Cruz is well past the wrong side of 30 and relievers are notoriously up and down season to season. And that's where you would put your money?

This post is the winner. I read threads daily but rarely post. I decided to post on this one because of the constant chattering for the O's to "win" the winter. I personally don't want ANY high priced FA's...period. They almost never work out and are drags on the team for years. I could go on for hours listing the players that the folks roasted the O's for not signing and they later flammed out with the teams that signed them. I love Kakes but I loved Brian Roberts too. I couldn't wait for his contract to be up. I wouldn't want to give Kakes another 4 years at his recent production and then with the injury on top of that? He chose to leave. I don't blame him for that. But, he could have settled for the O's offer if he had wanted to stay. It's not like they didn't offer him a reasonable contract. It kills me the people who complain about PA micro-managing the team. He clearly has given DD the freedom to make decisions or Kakes would still be here. I am "all in" on not hamstringing the team's future with high priced FA who rarely fullfill their contracts value.

Casey Stern is a jerk. I know this because I have XM and have listened to his New York bias for years.

I second this wholeheartedly! He is a blowhard him and Bowden just spew company speak! The only thing I share with Stern is we are fellow Islander fans. I believe in the O's direction this off season! Go O's! In the words of Aaron Rodgers: Relax!!!

I second this wholeheartedly! He is a blowhard him and Bowden just spew company speak! The only thing I share with Stern is we are fellow Islander fans. I believe in the O's direction this off season! Go O's! In the words of Aaron Rodgers: Relax!!!

I enjoy listening to Casey and Bowden. I just take everything they have to say about the Orioles with a ton of salt.

It would be great if the Orioles operated like the Cardinals. Maybe that will happen someday. Until then, I'll just be happy with winning.

If you believe Casey Stern's assertion regarding the Orioles then you should:

a. Stop coming to OPACY;

b. Stop watching the O's on TV; and

c. Stop purchasing O's merchandise.

Otherwise you are just contributing to the evilness that is the ANGELOS EMPIRE OF DOOM.

Of course, the irony here is that the same people that truly believe this about Peter Angelos and the Angelos family are the same people who sold their season tickets somewhere along the 15 season losing streak, and then paid 600 dollars a ticket for the ALCS this year.

Regardless, and as someone already stated, Stern's premise is fatally flawed in that it is more profitable to field a winning team than a losing team. This cannot be reasonably disputed.

Listening to 105.7 tonight and Casey Stern from MLB Network was on. He repeated what a lot O's fans like me feel. He said " O's ownership doesn't want to win they just want your money." I am pleading with the moderators not to delete my post. I know I am get attacked by the apologists who think we are just fine losing the arguably best reliever in club history, a gold glove right fielder, and the AL home run champ. No one in the local media has the guts to call out Angelos like this. They are all afraid of losing their advertising. That is how King Peter works. Kudos to Casey Stern!!!

I don't totally disagree with this I've never really been a P.A. fan, but I do think it's a REAL stretch to say the O's don't want to win. They just want to do it with a limited budget they will NEVER be the Yankee's or Boston when it comes to the pocketbook their market just won't allow it. It's the nature of the beast in MLB it's called the haves and have not's.

IMHO till you see a real salary cap in MLB that's the way it goes, like it or not, and yeah I don't see that happening either.

I believe this may be my first post so...

I at first was a little disappointed by the fact that we have done nothing this offseason, but then I stepped back and looked at what we could have done. We could have signed Cruz for way too long and then ended up wishing we could dump in the last two years of his contract. We could have signed Nick for too much money, but we already did that with his last contract. I loved Nick, he is a good player, not great and I don't think we should pay him with our heart, we should pay him using our mind. He has value, but certainly not the type of value that deserves 4/44mil.

Andrew Miller was never going to sign with us. We knew it and he knew it going in to the offseason. I'm sure that if we had a chance at signing him we would have made a run at it.

Looking over the OF'ers that are/were available, I can't name one of them that I would really have been happy signing. Rasmus is not a good value. Melky is hit or miss and who knows when he is going to get suspended again. Aoki...he is basically a Markakis clone.

So what did I really want the O's to do? Sign Sherzer? Of course not, that is a contract that is certainly going to be an albatross for someone at the end. Sign Shields? Maybe, but I think he is going to be grossly overpaid when it is all said and done.

So what should we do? I, personally, and going to wait and put my faith in the manager of the year and his GM to make the right moves. We have assets that we can trade, lets just hope we can find a partner that is willing to part with something that we need. Who knows, maybe someone will take Jimenez's contract off our hands.

Speaking as someone who has daily followed the message board before Syd Thrift sang the praises of that great minor league pitcher, Gary Dell'Abate, I have to say the I could care less about Danny Boy's slow Decembers. Let's have some prospective y'all... We are closer to operating like a fine Swiss watch right now then the dumpster fires of days of yore.

Archived