Orioles will be interviewing Scott Coolbaugh for hitting coach (hired)

Greg

This brings up an interesting question: Are the best hitters the best hitting coaches? Or... are the guys who were not naturally gifted hitters better? Or... does the hitting coach really matter as much as we think it does? I honestly don't know.

But I seriously doubt our team BA will revert to .215 as a result of hiring Coolbaugh (or Coolly as Buck will surely call him).

I really don't know if there's a correlation. I know that regarding the great managers, some of them were terrific players (John McGraw, Fred Clarke, Joe Torre), some were major leaguers (Connie Mack, Lou Piniella, Leo Durocher) and some were cup-of-coffee guys at best (Walter Alston, Sparky Anderson, and our own Buck Showalter). I suspect the same is true of hitting coaches.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything I've read about Coolbaugh sounds positive, so I'm happy with the hire. He's not a big name, but big name players don't always make the best coaches. Coolbaugh wasn't a good MLB player, but maybe its just because he didn't have the physical ability, even if he knew the mechanics.

A good coach is a good teacher. That means he has mastered the the technique he is teaching, but also he has the ability to communicate that understanding of technique with a wide variety of players. It has little to do with his personal numbers as a player.

I'm shocked the Rangers let us poach him, kudos to them for ldoing the right thing and letting the man decide his future.

Orioles did the exact same thing with Butch Davis. And Demarlo Hale.

BTW.

Coolbaugh was the Rangers' hitting coach in 2012, they led the Majors in runs scored (808) and were second in the American League in batting average (.272).

• 11 months later...

Archived