Orioles will be interviewing Scott Coolbaugh for hitting coach (hired)

Greg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EpMlVptg2Ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ted Williams on hitting.

"I don't take the fist pitch any more, Ronnie."

Barry Bonds to Ron Darling.

You see he might be in the running for the hitting coach job in Miami?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Attacking pitches in the strike zone.

With today's game having both historically high strike out rates and historically low walk rates it doesn't pay to let the pitcher get ahead in the count.

Hmmm. The top 5 teams in strikes looking were Oakland (14th/30 in runs scored), Boston (4th), New York (2nd), Toronto (1st) and Texas (3rd). I'd say patience still has its virtues.

I think Bryce would say, "I OPS 1.075 when I swing at the first pitch."

Well, since his overall OPS was 1.109, that means he did better when he didn't swing at the first pitch. :P

To be fair, Harper swung at the first pitch 38% of the time, which is quite aggressive (26th among 143 qualifiers). Adam Jones (45.5%) was 4th, and Chris Davis (40.2%) was 19th. Jonathan Schoop didn't qualify, but was up there with Jones at 45.3%.

Hmmm. The top 5 teams in strikes looking were Oakland (14th/30 in runs scored), Boston (4th), New York (2nd), Toronto (1st) and Texas (3rd). I'd say patience still has its virtues.

Oakland- Swinging at first pitch 748 OPS, take first pitch 693 OPS

Boston- 753 OPS/ 735 OPS

New York- 715 OPS/ 753 OPS

Toronto- 774 OPS/ 804 OPS

Texas- 773 OPS/ 725 OPS

So three of the five teams you listed did better swinging at the first pitch then when they took it.

Well, since his overall OPS was 1.109, that means he did better when he didn't swing at the first pitch. :P

To be fair, Harper swung at the first pitch 38% of the time, which is quite aggressive (26th among 143 qualifiers). Adam Jones (45.5%) was 4th, and Chris Davis (40.2%) was 19th. Jonathan Schoop didn't qualify, but was up there with Jones at 45.3%.

No, I gave you his career splits, not his 2015 splits. :P

He had an 1183 OPS swinging at the first pitch last season.

His career OPS is 902, which is much lower then 1109.

Boston- 753 OPS/ 735 OPS

Texas- 773 OPS/ 725 OPS

So three of the five teams you listed did better swinging at the first pitch then when they took it.

And I'd argue, that's because they were selective about when they swung at it. But the stats I gave were for all looking strikes, not taking the first pitch. In terms of taking the first pitch, the top teams were Boston, Oakland, NY Yankees, Cleveland and the NY Mets.

I just don't think there is a one size fits all answer here. Nor is it all a matter of the batters' approach. I'd argue that pitchers are less afraid of giving up homers, since it is now harder to hit them, and so they are challenging the hitters more.

Boston- 753 OPS/ 735 OPS

Texas- 773 OPS/ 725 OPS

Is all of this data swinging at the first pitch or when the at bat ends after the first pitch?

Archived