Are we really smarter?

TheDirtyBird

I guess I'm skeptical of "winning" the offseason. I remember when Toronto went out and got R.A Dickey, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, and Jose Reyes. And they were a trendy pick that year to win the division. I believe they finished in fourth place that year. And while I know the NFL is different, I remember the Philadelphia Eagles "dream team." too. Point is, I've become a strong believer in the idea that sometimes the best move is the one you don't make. I don't want us ignoring our needs of course but I don't think we can or should build our team's nucleus on outside names like SD seems to be doing. It of course does suck to see a longtime favorite like Nick go and man did I love watching my brother lefty reliever Miller pitch in tight spots and I loved Nelson too but it's a business. And I strongly disagree with the "Well it's not my money" mindset, yeah it's not our money but it's a long game not a short game. I'd rather the O's become like the O's of the Weaver era who were consistent winners over a long period of time than the O's of the mid 90's that had a short window.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I'm skeptical of "winning" the offseason. I remember when Toronto went out and got R.A Dickey, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, and Jose Reyes. And they were a trendy pick that year to win the division. I believe they finished in fourth place that year. And while I know the NFL is different, I remember the Philadelphia Eagles "dream team." too. Point is, I've become a strong believer in the idea that sometimes the best move is the one you don't make. I don't want us ignoring our needs of course but I don't think we can or should build our team's nucleus on outside names like SD seems to be doing. It of course does suck to see a longtime favorite like Nick go and man did I love watching my brother lefty reliever Miller pitch in tight spots and I loved Nelson too but it's a business. And I strongly disagree with the "Well it's not my money" mindset, yeah it's not our money but it's a long game not a short game. I'd rather the O's become like the O's of the Weaver era who were consistent winners over a long period of time than the O's of the mid 90's that had a short window.

Right. It doesn't matter who wins the off-season. It matters who wins actual games. This is boring and frustrating but I think that makes what Dan and Buck do even more respectable. They're waiting for a calculated moment to jump at not just any opportunity but the right opportunity to add to the club. I can't say what is the smarter approach because it's all a roll of dice in the end but I think it's worth trying to see the big picture rather than envy the flurry of a desperate team making desperate moves.

Right. It doesn't matter who wins the off-season. It matters who wins actual games. This is boring and frustrating but I think that makes what Dan and Buck do even more respectable. They're waiting for a calculated moment to jump at not just any opportunity but the right opportunity to add to the club. I can't say what is the smarter approach because it's all a roll of dice in the end but I think it's worth trying to see the big picture rather than envy the flurry of a desperate team making desperate moves.

All I know is this, I hate winter and the cold. Bring on spring and let the baseball games start again. My little whine about the winter aside, absolutely, I mean there's something to seeing the long term game. I remember the media gushing over Oakland and Detroit's trades at the trade deadline last summer. Well Oakland lost the WC game and we swept the Tigers. I mean the playoffs are definitely a crapshoot but I guess I wish the people who envy the big moves made by other teams would see that there's a method to the madness. I understand they want us to make a move. Hell I'm interested in seeing who we bring in too but it feels like too many want a move for the sake of a move and honestly I can't say I agree with that line of thinking. I personally really like that Duquette seems to be doing his due diligence on names.

But the everyday fan can only go by the actions they see, no?

I think it is true that many fans confuse action with planning and execution of a plan. And that the plan makes sense. Most fans don't grasp the concept that free agency is usually a bad deal, and often blows up budgets and long-term plans. They just want their team to sign players they've seen and heard about with Peter Angelos' money.

Again, why would anyone be upset if they understood our projected committed payroll after arbitration, Dan's direct quote that he expects payroll to rise a bit this year, and the ability to do math to see that means we have 10-18M to spend? Are you concerned that we won't be able to find value for that 10-18M because it is almost January? I'm not at all. I honestly don't get it.

I guess some people see the Orioles are gonna lose 6 starters after this year and they would like the owner to step up just once.

I think its smart because they're building for a long term winner that doesn't trade away key prospects or gives big contracts that'll handicap us in the future. Maybe we're not doing all we can to win in 2015, but giving us a chance to win 2015, 2016, 2017, 2017, 2019, 2020 etc is more important to me.

Archived