How many sure things do we have in our lineup right now?

ChuckS

I can roll with the first four. But Schoop?

I think we overrate defense JUST A LITTLE bit on this board. Defense is not half the equation when measuring a player's value. It's more like a quarter of it. Schoop was one of the worst if not not worst producing everyday 2B in baseball last year. I expect/hope he improves. But just getting his OPS up in the .625 to .650 range would be a major improvement.

I think there are a fair sized contingent that ignore defense almost entirely. Like the poster that wanted Davis in right and Howard at first.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there are a fair sized contingent that ignore defense almost entirely. Like the poster that wanted Davis in right and Howard at first.

I think that video games treat out of position players pretty well. And of course that costs many more games than does a month's worth of moving runners from first to third.

Ok, so if your point is granted what do you want to do differently? Are you saying don't count on Wieters, Hardy, Machado, Jones, Schoop, Davis, and Pearce for production and instead to get replacement players for some of them? What is the point of this thread that is different than the other threads? I'm not trying to be snarky, but you've been asked this multiple times by a couple folks and haven't answered. What is your point and what do you want to do about it?

I will tell you now that any plan that doesn't depend on those 7 players for offense is unlikely to be realistic. We offered arbitration to everyone. Payroll is mostly allocated.

No, we HAVE to count on those players.

But there are several positions where major offensive upgrades could have been made. 2B, DH, LF, RF. Whatever our budget is (no one actually knows), we offered Cruz 15 million and Markakis 9 or 10 million to play for us in 2015. That's 25 million that didn't get spent that could have been used to improve the team for 2015.

How is an extension at market value something of value?

It's not. No one could argue that. The thought is that if you take big risk and offer a huge amount, that you could obtain the services of a good player before their price becomes astronomical if they play well.

Weams, you got it right. How would any team hold up if we were to thoroughly analyze each player's faults?. The Os are fine with whom they have. They don't need to totally replace Cruz and Markakis because they will improve in other areas. JJohnson was traded last year and everyone hear was going nuts. Britton was so mush better. Their pitching and OBP will ameliorate. Duquette and Buck know what they're doing (AL East Champs= repeat that a few times). You want a definite; I am sure that the Os will be back in the playoffs in 2015. See y'all at the Yard !

How is an extension at market value something of value?

It is why some folks sit and put thousands of dollars in a slot machine. They will lose all their money. But they Might make more money. Maybe. It's the gamble. There is no chance to win more if you don't play that machine. And just keeping your money is boring.

Weams, you got it right. How would any team hold up if we were to thoroughly analyze each player's faults?. The Os are fine with whom they have. They don't need to totally replace Cruz and Markakis because they will improve in other areas. JJohnson was traded last year and everyone hear was going nuts. Britton was so mush better. Their pitching and OBP will ameliorate. Duquette and Buck know what they're doing (AL East Champs= repeat that a few times). You want a definite; I am sure that the Os will be back in the playoffs in 2015. See y'all at the Yard !

I must have missed everyone going nuts when we traded Jim Johnson. I think it was more of a celebration that we were actually able to find a team to take JJ at his arbitration number.

I can roll with the first four. But Schoop?

I think we overrate defense JUST A LITTLE bit on this board. Defense is not half the equation when measuring a player's value. It's more like a quarter of it. Schoop was one of the worst if not not worst producing everyday 2B in baseball last year. I expect/hope he improves. But just getting his OPS up in the .625 to .650 range would be a major improvement.

Defense is the reason a team like the Orioles can post one of the best ERAs in the division with a starting rotation comprised of pitchers who are just a little better than average.

Defense is why the Royals beat us in the ALCS, even though we had more hard hit balls than they did.

I can't wait to get Machado and Wieters back in that defense.

I must have missed everyone going nuts when we traded Jim Johnson. I think it was more of a celebration that we were actually able to find a team to take JJ at his arbitration number.

Exactly! That is the way I remember the way Jim Johnson left. We were all happy to see him leave.

Archived