How many sure things do we have in our lineup right now?

ChuckS

No, that's not all you were saying. You said you don't believe Schoop can be a better than average 2B because of his hitting. I think if he puts up a .650 OPS he will be better than average, and I don't think that's impossible.

Not impossible. Not likely either. That would be close to a 100 point increase in OPS. I'd love to see it though!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, thanks for clarifying. So it really is just the same thread packaged differently. You are arguing for more money to be spent to fill 3-4 slots. Weird way to argue it by commenting that the 7 bats we are counting on shouldn't be counted on IMO. Also, we didn't offer those two 25M in 2015. More like 22M.

The offers to Nick and Nelson were made but that doesn't mean we have 22M more available than what we've committed to at this point. Arbitration offers were made afterward. Some might not have been made. Also, DD could have offered to these guys knowing he was going to trade someone if they accepted. I'd be very surprised if we have 22M available beyond what we've committed to at this point.

Of course it is the same thread. Peter Angelos is a miser and takes huge profits from the team and never gives the team any of the MASNCashMoney like he promised that he would and that is why we always stink. So get up and walk out. It's time for a boycott until our feelings are heard. All together now.

Did you read what was said before the comment you quoted? I was responding to weams, when he told me to check out the stats frobby posted. I said those rely on health. Not sure what your trying to get at.

What's the point in saying that relies on health? Isn't that a given everywhere?

Pitching + defense = run prevention. Maybe you are grouping pitching in with defense. I am just talking about a team's ability to field the ball.

So it is at least as important as pitching. But not as important as hitting. But it sure isn't just a small part to put a team over the top. It is a way to win. Or at least a quarter of the games that you do win. And if it is bad you could lose a quarter more on that aspect as well. So kinda a big deal.

So it is at least as important as pitching. But not as important as hitting. But it sure isn't just a small part to put a team over the top. It is a way to win. Or at least a quarter of the games that you do win. And if it is bad you could lose a quarter more on that aspect as well. So kinda a big deal.

In the offense/pitching/defense pie, defense has gotta get the smallest slice. If you play great defense but can't score runs or pitch then you don't finish over .500. If you have a great offense and great pitching but have the league's worst defense, you can still go to the World Series. Fact.

I think there is a bit too much blind pessimism and blind optimism being exchanged here. Here's how I see it.

1. At present, we're not likely to be as good a team as last year.

2. We are still likely to be a contender, but that's not certain.

3. The offseason isn't over and I won't waste a lot of energy analyzing the current roster when it's pretty likely there will be some additions before spring training begins.

I do think our defense will be excellent, and the pitching should be pretty good.

In the offense/pitching/defense pie, defense has gotta get the smallest slice. If you play great defense but can't score runs or pitch then you don't finish over .500. If you have a great offense and great pitching but have the league's worst defense, you can still go to the World Series. Fact.

Nope. You lose. You never make it to the playoffs. Unless you play in Oakland. No wonder you made this thread. You don't understand. I would have left your error sit if you had not thrown that "fact" at the end. ;)

That would be a 52 point increase in OPS. Schoop's OPS as a 22 year old was .598.

I stand corrected, thought he was in the .550 range without looking at his numbers. Sure then, .650 is reasonable. What's the league average OPS for starting 2B though?

Has that happened?

I think there is a bit too much blind pessimism and blind optimism being exchanged here. Here's how I see it.

1. At present, we're not likely to be as good a team as last year.

2. We are still likely to be a contender, but that's not certain.

3. The offseason isn't over and I won't waste a lot of energy analyzing the current roster when it's pretty likely there will be some additions before spring training begins.

I do think our defense will be excellent, and the pitching should be pretty good.

I am pretty certain that we won't spend another 35 million. And that is all some folks are after.

Archived