What's Chen going to get?

Frobby

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing these threads about us losing our own guys year in and year because of financial constraints, is getting depressing. Chen is a solid arm, and it's not just him, but I am sure there will be a Wieters thread next year about him leaving as well. Sorry, I usually don't post, but it is a little disheartening at this point.

It's a lot better than when we could sign our players because no one else wanted them.

The O's are going to look for the next underrated pitcher they can sign before signing the inflated market value of SP right now. Thanks for the excess value Chen. Hopefully by 2016 Bundy and Gausman will have a strong presence in the rotation and barring any trades (though I think it's likely by then there will be) we'll still have a full rotation with Tillman, Gonzalez, and Jimenez taking up spots so Chen will not be missed too much presumably.

Alas, that's probably true. Let's hope that Norris has a great season this coming year.

I don't want him to have TOO good of a season, since that would put him out of his price range as well. Another mid 3 ERA/15 win season likely puts him at 50 million dollar range too.

I don't want him to have TOO good of a season, since that would put him out of his price range as well. Another mid 3 ERA/15 win season likely puts him at 50 million dollar range too.
That IS depressing -- hoping that our players don't have "too great of a season" so that we can afford them the following year. I can see it, I'm in the stands, rooting for an Orioles win. Os are beating the Red Sox 4-2, bases empty. Norris is pitching and Sandoval is batting, Norris has 2 strikes on him. I shout out "let him hit it out of the park so that you won't be too expensive next year!"

If a pitcher does well, I think that Angelos can afford him. How could the team NOT afford a quality pitcher?

We have no chance or signing him so I hope he breaks records, and not in the Matusz way. Bottom line is that Gausman and at least one of Bundy, Berry, Wilson, Wright, Davies have to be ready to be in the rotation on OD 2016. Then another two of those need to be able to be in the pen to offset the loss of O'day, Hunter, Webb. We're losing alot of guys after next season so we really need this crop in AAA to at least be 4th/5th starter or reliever types.

That IS depressing -- hoping that our players don't have "too great of a season" so that we can afford them the following year. I can see it, I'm in the stands, rooting for an Orioles win. Os are beating the Red Sox 4-2, bases empty. Norris is pitching and Sandoval is batting, Norris has 2 strikes on him. I shout out "let him hit it out of the park so that you won't be too expensive next year!"

If a pitcher does well, I think that Angelos can afford him. How could the team NOT afford a quality pitcher?

Do you really think we're giving another 4 year/50 mil contract to a pitcher after Ubaldo?

It obviously depends on how the payroll is structured during and after Ubaldo's tenure.

Well we might later on, but I don't see any pitchers getting a contract like that from us in the next year or so. Maybe Tillman will get a contract better then that once he's closer to free agent, but I'm scared to think of the kinda money he'll demand so that may be out of our range too.

A few current contracts:

Buehrle 4/$58 mm

E. Santana 4/$55 mm

E. Jackson 4/$52 mm

Jimenez 4/$50 mm

Nolasco 4/$49 mm

McCarthy 4/$48 mm

Hughes 3/$42 mm (2017-19 extension plus raise for 2015-16)

Liriano 3/$39 mm

Any reason at all to think Chen won't get something in this ballpark?

The real question is, why aren't the Orioles re-signing him? Buck always says we re-sign players we want to keep. It's time to step up.

The real question is, why aren't the Orioles re-signing him? Buck always says we re-sign players we want to keep. It's time to step up.

Even if they want to, his agent in Boras. Boras doesn't sign extensions, he goes to free agency to maximize value.

Yeah I hear you. Well, if Davis and Wieters and Chen come off the books next season, that's like ~$30 million right there, assuming they all get $10+ on the open market. Past that, only Jones. Hardy, and Ubaldo are long term, and Tillman is still cheap. You'd have a lot of room to spend on pitching if you needed to in 2016. And honestly, Ubaldo isn't all that expensive.

Well, we'll have Manny up for arbitration then, and Tillman and Gonzo will likely be making quite a bit of money in arbitration as well, so that eats into it. Arbitration really adds up... you say 30 million, but I wonder how much we'll really have to spend.

Seeing these threads about us losing our own guys year in and year because of financial constraints, is getting depressing. Chen is a solid arm, and it's not just him, but I am sure there will be a Wieters thread next year about him leaving as well. Sorry, I usually don't post, but it is a little disheartening at this point.

I agree, we can't afford to lose any pitching. We are not that deep.

We have no left handed starting pitcher options other than Chen. Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Wright, are all right handers. Only left handed starter in our whole system that is anywhere close is Tim Berry. Orioles may end up overspending to keep Chen depending on the year he has and the team has.

Even if they want to, his agent in Boras. Boras doesn't sign extensions, he goes to free agency to maximize value.

Well, we'll have Manny up for arbitration then, and Tillman and Gonzo will likely be making quite a bit of money in arbitration as well, so that eats into it. Arbitration really adds up... you say 30 million, but I wonder how much we'll really have to spend.

That's probably true, but Duquette should negotiate with him and see what can get done. Why not try to sign him?

We have no left handed starting pitcher options other than Chen. Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Wright, are all right handers. Only left handed starter in our whole system that is anywhere close is Tim Berry. Orioles may end up overspending to keep Chen depending on the year he has and the team has.

Chris Jones, unless I missed something?

Archived