Orioles claim Lavarnway from Cubs. Release Q Berry.

Crazysilver03

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't believe Lavarnway is the backup catcher the O's are looking to add to the roster. Looks more like insurance if Young doesn't sign as DH.

We have five catchers on the 40. One will go before we add another. This may be an attempt to find a 2016 catcher as well. Give him to Don Werner and John Russell. This spring. They said Caleb couldn't catch either.

I think the third best catcher the O's have after Wieters and Joseph is Brian Ward. Buck values a guy that is good defensively and who can call a good game. Ward is more the type of guy I would expect Buck to trust behind the plate.

But I do think the O's try to add a good defensive catcher before ST begins.

You know, there are quite a few other explanations for a drop in power besides PED usage...
He lost 20 lbs. To try to be a better catcher. You know, like Trout gained 28 so he would hit more homers to beat Cabrera. Turns out Cabrera was starting to break down and Trout did not need to. Supposedly, Lavarnway has put the muscle weight back on. Also, Lavarnway had a broken wrist.

Berry just didn't fit in with the O's philosophy on offense. Granted, he's a really good base-stealer but that's not how Buck likes to play the game. Some other team will sign him quickly. As for Lavarnway--organizational depth at best. As if the O's need more AA and AAA catchers...

Classic DD pick up. Like this move and share your implicit optimism, Weams.

Agreed. DD sees something here that you don't see on the stat sheets - certainly not the recent ones. But that's been the hallmark of his tenure here. He's finding hidden value - in that way, it's the same thing Billy Beane has done so well. Except DD has created his own brand of Moneyball.

Agreed. DD sees something here that you don't see on the stat sheets - certainly not the recent ones. But that's been the hallmark of his tenure here. He's finding hidden value - in that way, it's the same thing Billy Beane has done so well. Except DD has created his own brand of Moneyball.

Is Rusty still in the navy?

Are you trying to lead the league in obscure references today? I must be living in a cave, cause I have no clue what your last 3 posts refer to in three different threads.

Well this is nothin...but if this gets dented then my hair just ain't gonna look right.

Archived