Roch: Because you asked (Christmas Eve edition)

fearthenoodle

i don't think location has much to do with DD desire for a promotion. Its about money and power.

Yeah, money and power can be negotiated I suppose. But motivations that are based on personal interest are much more difficult to dissuade.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who says DD wants to go? He wants more money and a promotion.

You are right, I don't know what he wants. But I do know this, it is pretty clear now that Toronto has something that DD is not willing to unequivocally decline. Maybe Peter is willing to pay him more and give him more power. That seems likely right?

You can disregard Roch's comment if you like, but this isn't something he would typically speculate on.

As big a fan as I am of DD, there is a price where it makes sense for the Orioles to let him go. The chances of Toronto meeting that price are extremely unlikely, though.
Not sure exactly what the means.

Peter can offer him more money. He can offer him a higher position in the organization. If it's just about that Peter may have a chance. However Peter can't offer him Toronto. Peter can't compete with all of the emotional and personal strings that may be pulling Duquette to move to Canada.

I do not think you can restructe the Orioles excutive office and take less responsibilities away from Peter and John... Sorry its not going to happen.

The CEO of an organization is definitely a promotion over Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations. That puts someone overseeing every aspect of the organization, rather than just making baseball decisions. It's a bigger deal even as it's a position that's less in the spotlight

http://www.camdenchat.com/2014/12/7/7348855/orioles-rumors-dan-duquette-blue-jays-ceo

I like Roch. Enjoy reading his stuff. But he is wrong about as much as he is right at times. This is one of those times IMO. Peter letting DD go to Toronto defies logic.

If PA wants to keep him that badly, he'll promote him to the same position with the O's. How much more power/authority could he possibly with our organization have than he does right now anyway?

If PA wants to keep him that badly, he'll promote him to the same position with the O's. How much more power/authority could he possibly with our organization have than he does right now anyway?

Well I'm gonna park the cars and get check the luggage, and well, I'll be outside for the season.

We see all the money being thrown around in baseball and the fact that DD has been a big part of making the O's a winning team and I have to wonder why anyone would think that Peter Angelos would let DD go instead of giving him a new title and a couple of million more dollars a year. I think in the grand scheme of things the money is not going to hurt the O's near as much as DD leaving. Peter has to know that.

This is bigger than Pete throwing money at the problem. Duquette previous success in Montreal makes him uniquely qualified for the position, a fact that is not lost on those that make things happen in MLB.

I would think the easiest transition if he does leave would be to make Showalter the GM and elevate Russell. Unfortunately though as they are planning out contingencies and possible scenario it is absolutely taking away from planning for the roster. While Roch tries to make the point that the roster is an area of focus, his two quotations clearly show competing interest on front office personnels' time.

We see all the money being thrown around in baseball and the fact that DD has been a big part of making the O's a winning team and I have to wonder why anyone would think that Peter Angelos would let DD go instead of giving him a new title and a couple of million more dollars a year. I think in the grand scheme of things the money is not going to hurt the O's near as much as DD leaving. Peter has to know that.

If it comes to spending more money, I would spend it on DD. He has always had tricks up his sleeve and he finds the nuggets that are hidden. Where other teams make a splash, DD treads water and just waits til the right time to strike. Just my $.02

Archived