What is Dan Duquette's strategy for 2016?

wildcard

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to envision the team contending for any desirable FA next year. To anticipate that would be overly optimistic, IMO, from a fan's perspective.

I think it's plausible that the strategy all hinges on whether the team is contending by the trade deadline. If we aren't, perhaps Dan goes into sell mode and chooses to add young players rather than wait for some QO compensation picks in 2016. A mix will likely be the net result, and that seems like a good way to move forward.

The tipping point of whether to accept a trade that brings back players/prospects vs waiting for the QO comp pick is one that really intrigues me. So with so many on walk years, we probably ought to look to do both and let the highest bidders dictate which current Os are dealt.

Put me in the camp that wants DD to stay, so my first priority is to make sure he is happy. With that done and with him driving the next steps, I'm much more comfortable.

Gotta say... I know things seem chaotic, and the team may look dramatically different soon, but I'm very intrigued by what DD can do with our pending FAs.

FWIW, here's a list of players scheduled to be free agents next offseason: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/2016-mlb-free-agents.html

Of particular interest:

Catchers

Alex Avila (29)

Chris Iannetta (33)

John Jaso (32)

George Kottaras (32)

Jose Molina (41)

Dioner Navarro (32)

Brayan Pena (34)

A.J. Pierzynski (39)

Matt Wieters (30)

First Basemen

Jeff Baker (35)

Chris Davis (30)

Edwin Encarnacion (33) – $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Garrett Jones (35)

Justin Morneau (35) – $9MM mutual option with a $750K buyout

Mike Napoli (34)

Sean Rodriguez (31)

FWIW, here's a list of players scheduled to be free agents next offseason: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/2016-mlb-free-agents.html

Of particular interest:

There are a number of SP who might not break the bank. I could see us picking up one to fill the void left when Norris and Chen go. Any of those catchers better than Joseph?

Lock him up now at a discount. Apparently we will have $60MM to spend.
Boras clients rarely sign for a discount.

Almost never. Unless things really are set for the player. Like his long term captainship, of a crafty righty being paid like an Ace.

Archived