Showalter to meet with Rasmus

33rdst

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF Wieters doesn't catch, then he's probably the DH and Pearce and Young are your two RH outfielders on the bench. Then you have Flaherty and the 3rd catcher (Joseph is starting). In that scenario, Lough doesn't make the team at all.

I hope that doesn't happen. We'll have to see. :confused:

I think it's naive to believe that Showalter doesn't consult with others to make assessments on a player. Do you really think a guy as detail-oriented as Showalter wouldn't even think to ask Rasmus's previous managers for their thoughts on him? And if not Showalter, then certainly Duquette or someone in the front office is making those calls.

The Orioles would be silly not to at least get some input from people who have worked with Rasmus before. I'd be disappointed if they didn't. In the end, the O's can make their own decision, but they should at least get all the facts first.

Yes, I really do, Paul. I provided a specific example where Buck might do that but asking Tony LaRussa for his opinion doesn't really count as fact now does it? As I stated earlier, Buck is detailed but he generally is smart enough to make his own determination about people. Hence, the meet.

Again, previous alcoholic managers opinions on former players isn't necessary to the well formed mind of current possible future manager of said player. Having as much information as possible is great as long as you consider the source. I would think Buck considers that at least as much as the guy with whom he's speaking.

Yes, I really do, Paul. I provided a specific example where Buck might do that but asking Tony LaRussa for his opinion doesn't really count as fact now does it? As I stated earlier, Buck is detailed but he generally is smart enough to make his own determination about people. Hence, the meet.

Again, previous alcoholic managers opinions on former players isn't necessary to the well formed mind of current possible future manager of said player. Having as much information as possible is great as long as you consider the source. I would think Buck considers that at least as much as the guy with whom he's speaking.

Hey, Earl had a DUI. But back then it was more acceptable.

I should have said "perspectives" rather than "facts." And yes, I believe Buck collects as many perspectives of a player as he can, including from former managers -- especially when dealing with a player like Rasmus who has developed a reputation for being a bit of a malcontent. I remember when the O's signed Delmon Young last year, Buck talked about the O's "doing their homework" before signing him. That likely included talking to other baseball people who had worked with Young.

Nobody's suggesting that Buck should listen only to La Russa and not even meet Rasmus or form his own opinion about him. He should -- and almost certainly will -- do both.

I should have said "perspectives" rather than "facts." And yes, I believe Buck collects as many perspectives of a player as he can, including from former managers -- especially when dealing with a player like Rasmus who has developed a reputation for being a bit of a malcontent. I remember when the O's signed Delmon Young last year, Buck talked about the O's "doing their homework" before signing him. That likely included talking to other baseball people who had worked with Young.

Nobody's suggesting that Buck should listen only to La Russa and not even meet Rasmus or form his own opinion about him. He should -- and almost certainly will -- do both.

Well, Paul, I disagree. If you are talking about "perspectives" within the baseball world I think there is a select group of people he would rely on for such an opinion.

As far as Delmon goes, I'm not ruling out Buck having conversations with members of the Jewish community at some point to get a feel for some of the repairs he had made after the damage he had done. Buck may not be an expert on those matters, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Archived