Showalter to meet with Rasmus

33rdst

Wieters could DH some vs lefty pitching but of course there is always some risk in that. I tend to think the only time Young will play the OF will be when Matt is at DH, so not very much. Buck can pick his spots and either rest DeAza or Rasmus vs LHP. I think both will play some vs LHP. I would still keep Lough, whoever the last man on the bench is will be redundant to some extent. No lock how well DeAza plays anyway never mind if we aquire Rasmus.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then Pearce doesn't play everyday. For that matter, since you say that Rasmus and De Aza won't be platooned (although now you say De Aza sits against LHP) when does Pearce play at all?

I think that a platoon implies that it will always occur. I think it will be fluid. How is that.

Where do you think Pearce fits in? How many AB's do you see him getting? Does he have a regular job?[/quote

I do not think Pearce has an everyday position.

This assumes no injuries to Davis and Machado comes back healthy. It also assumes we sign a FA outfielder.

Agreed. He's a potential replacement in LF next year for De Aza. Still, his spot on the team is questionable especially if Wieters can't catch and they have to carry another catcher. I don't think he can be on the team under that scenario unless they move De Aza.

This is an interesting one. We've seen the sacrifices Buck has asked the Norrises and Gonzalezes of the world to make with short-term options near the All-Star break, etc. If Wieters is unfit to catch yet, should he even MAKE the opening day roster as a DH only?

Hypothetically, if his recovery keeps him off catching in the show until May 1, could Norfolk be an option until then? Bat-only, does 100 April PA of DH Wieters over say a platoon of Delmon/(Rasmus/DeAza/Ethier, etc) justify risking Lough? Or is the greater risk in poking the Boras/Wieters bear?

This is an interesting one. We've seen the sacrifices Buck has asked the Norrises and Gonzalezes of the world to make with short-term options near the All-Star break, etc. If Wieters is unfit to catch yet, should he even MAKE the opening day roster as a DH only?

Hypothetically, if his recovery keeps him off catching in the show until May 1, could Norfolk be an option until then? Bat-only, does 100 April PA of DH Wieters over say a platoon of Delmon/(Rasmus/DeAza/Ethier, etc) justify risking Lough? Or is the greater risk in poking the Boras/Wieters bear?

What about starting him on the DL?

What about starting him on the DL?

I don't think we will know until ST. Whether Wieters can catch is one question. Whether he can hit is a whole different thing. Is he the .300 hitter we saw last April or the .245 hitter he was in 2012-2013. Has the arm strength taken away his home run power or can he knock them over the fence. There is a lot we will not know about Wieters until he gets on the field in March.

I am of the opinion that neither will occur. Nothing to save him for. Your 2015 Nelson Cruz - Matt Wieters!

So Matt goes back behind the plate and never misses a beat. He goes all Nelson and smacks 40 HR's and drives in 100 plus. Then signs a 10 year, 300 million dollar deal with the Yankee's. Great.

So Matt goes back behind the plate and never misses a beat. He goes all Nelson and smacks 40 HR's and drives in 100 plus. Then signs a 10 year, 300 million dollar deal with the Yankee's. Great.

I'm good with that scenario.

I don't see the Yankees being dumb enough to sign him for 10 years. 6/180 is a tad bit more realistic.

Then Pearce doesn't play everyday. For that matter, since you say that Rasmus and De Aza won't be platooned (although now you say De Aza sits against LHP) when does Pearce play at all?

I think Pearce will play all over, and have over 500 at bats. Or if we do not sign Rasmus, RF.

Archived