Lineup w/ Rasmus if everyone's healthy?

ChuckS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is great info. Thanks for sharing. Where did you find it? I looked on bbref (mobile) and didn't have success.

On BBRef, you can go to the Batting Splits tab for the 2014 Orioles and find the number of left-handed SPs they faced all year. To break it down by month, I looked at the Orioles' batting orders (under the "Other" tab), which have a pound sign every time they faced a lefty starter. I just counted it up for each month.

Not quite that few. It varies from month to month. Last year the O's only faced 4 left-handed starters in April, but most months it was more than that. The full breakdown:

April: 4

May: 9

June: 11

July: 5

August: 9

September: 3

Postseason: 2

Thanks. So without Lester and Price maybe a few less. Especially is CC is done.

Thanks. So without Lester and Price maybe a few less. Especially is CC is done.

Not necessarily, since the Rays replaced Price with another lefty (Smyly) and the Red Sox have brought in a lefty starter this winter (Miley). I'm guessing the O's will face the same number of lefties overall.

Saying Rasmus will be fine against lefties OR righties, is overly optimistic.

The guy has had two or three decent seasons out of seven and he is coming off a poor year. Let's hope he can bounce back, but better not to put him in situations where the numbers say he will fail.

I think Buck plays these things by ear. Splits don't tend to be consistent from one year to another, so you adjust accordingly. I don't foresee Rasmus playing regularly against LH starters at the beginning of the season, since Buck has two good RH hitting outfielders who need at bats. But if he hits them decently at the start of this year and either Pearce or Young isn't hitting as well as last year after a couple of months, things could change.

Not necessarily, since the Rays replaced Price with another lefty (Smyly) and the Red Sox have brought in a lefty starter this winter (Miley). I'm guessing the O's will face the same number of lefties overall.

Which was 41 games vs. a LH starter in 2014. Toronto had 39, of which Rasmus started 19.

By the way, the Jays and Orioles faced fewer LH starters than any other team in the league. So, I doubt the number will go much lower.

Archived