CSN Baltimore: Ubaldo, the Untradeable 2015 Hero?

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/12/did-ubaldo-jimenez-turn-the-corner-late-last-year.html

I liked the commentary from Wallace on Jimenez in that blog entry. I would hope that if Jimenez sees more consistent results with a more simple delivery he is willing to stick with it. I know part of his game is to throw hitters off with a wild wind up but you've got to know how to get the ball where you intended it to go and I don't think he intended to walk 5.5 batters per nine innings last season.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/12/did-ubaldo-jimenez-turn-the-corner-late-last-year.html

I liked the commentary from Wallace on Jimenez in that blog entry. I would hope that if Jimenez sees more consistent results with a more simple delivery he is willing to stick with it. I know part of his game is to throw hitters off with a wild wind up but you've got to know how to get the ball where you intended it to go and I don't think he intended to walk 5.5 batters per nine innings last season.

Ubaldo walked six during his no-hitter.

From mlb.com he was 6-9 last year with 7 no decisions. He started 22 games and appeared in 25.

My faulty memory seems to remember that with better run support he could have won at least 2 of the no decisions.

But I was also drinking back then ;-)

"As I learned in talking to Mickey (Callaway, Cleveland pitching coach), who had him last year, there is a way of approaching this guy. If he thinks he's making the adjustment, then that is fine. He probably did a lot of it himself."

As I've noted before regarding Jimenez, he's been reticent to make any changes to a wind up he's used since becoming a professional pitcher. It's a good sign that whatever way it happened he's realized an adjustment needed to be made.

"As I learned in talking to Mickey (Callaway, Cleveland pitching coach), who had him last year, there is a way of approaching this guy. If he thinks he's making the adjustment, then that is fine. He probably did a lot of it himself."

As I've noted before regarding Jimenez, he's been reticent to make any changes to a wind up he's used since becoming a professional pitcher. It's a good sign that whatever way it happened he's realized an adjustment needed to be made.

He has never been demoted to the bullpen so maybe that will serve as a humbling moment and he is more open to change. He's got to know he was the weak link in an otherwise decent rotation on a contending team. Pride has got to play some part in making a change enticing otherwise he is not a good player for the Baltimore Orioles.

Well it can't get much worse, can it? I mean I get why they're doing this, there's no sense in trying to trade Ubaldo when his trade value has hit rock bottom. This kinda reminds me of what the Dodgers did with Kemp last year. Hope he bounces back and then ship him out of town for a decent prospect when you can.

Well it can't get much worse, can it? I mean I get why they're doing this, there's no sense in trying to trade Ubaldo when his trade value has hit rock bottom. This kinda reminds me of what the Dodgers did with Kemp last year. Hope he bounces back and then ship him out of town for a decent prospect when you can.

This is the best case scenario. He has a big year, and you can trade him while his value is high. I think his inconsistency means you trade him after a big year, rather than keep him and hope it sticks. But then again, I'm just a guy who occasionally posts on a message board and not a GM.

Who cares about winning ballgames when you can appear to win trades in the eyes of people who watch/listen to a lot of sports media? First-rate organizations understand that real quality can only be fully realized by getting rid of it.

Archived