Replacing Nick's OBP

wildcard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is 25% of the season. The O's should try to do better that that.

And I'm sure they will try to do better than that.

For what it's worth, there were only two players in the entire American League who had more than 500 at bats in the leadoff position: Nick Markakis (148 starts leading off) and Jose Reyes (142 starts leading off). Otherwise, nobody led off in more than 123 games. So, mixing and matching in the leadoff spot is the rule, not the exception.

Keep in mind that Markakis's OBP has declined some over the last few years. He's still at .358 for his career, but the last 2 years, almost exclusively from the leadoff spot, he has a .335 OBP in over 1400 PAs. Still above the team average, and among the best on the team, but that's not as hard to replace as it would be if he was still hitting his career averages.

Keep in mind that Markakis's OBP has declined some over the last few years. He's still at .358 for his career, but the last 2 years, almost exclusively from the leadoff spot, he has a .335 OBP in over 1400 PAs. Still above the team average, and among the best on the team, but that's not as hard to replace as it would be if he was still hitting his career averages.

Nick only batted leadoff in 34 games in 2013 and had a .352 OBP. In fact, that was really the only spot in the lineup he did hit well that year, but most of the at bats from the leadoff spot that season went to Nate McLouth, who actually had a lower average and OBP from the spot but an ever so slightly higher slugging percentage than Nick.

Nick only batted leadoff in 34 games in 2013 and had a .352 OBP. In fact, that was really the only spot in the lineup he did hit well that year, but most of the at bats from the leadoff spot that season went to Nate McLouth, who actually had a lower average and OBP from the spot but an ever so slightly higher slugging percentage than Nick.

Wow- how did I forget that. Thanks for refreshing my memory. The overall point about his declining OBP still stands.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Pearce at the top of the order against LHP.

Or even Delmon. One of my pet ideas is if you have an extreme platoon bat starting, bat him 1st. That way he gets his 3rd plate appearance when the starter's total batters faced is just 19. If he's lower in that order, it's easier for the other manager to start matching up by batter 24, 25, etc.

You guarantee yourself 3 PA's with the platoon advantage, or the other manager starting into his bullpen early.

Its hard to believe that Buck would go into 2015 with a plan to use any of these three as a leadoff hitter.

Pearce's OBP the last two seasons has been .362 in very part time and .373 with more playing time, and had a .378 OBP batting out of the two hole last year in 53 games. He's not optimal, but against the right pitching he could hold his own.

Or even Delmon. One of my pet ideas is if you have an extreme platoon bat starting, bat him 1st. That way he gets his 3rd plate appearance when the starter's total batters faced is just 19. If he's lower in that order, it's easier for the other manager to start matching up by batter 24, 25, etc.

You guarantee yourself 3 PA's with the platoon advantage, or the other manager starting into his bullpen early.

Delmon's aversion to the free pass would make me hesitant to use him there. Plus, I'm generally in favor of getting your best hitters as many ABs as possible. Delmon is not one of those players. Pearce might be.

Pearce's OBP the last two seasons has been .362 in very part time and .373 with more playing time, and had a .378 OBP batting out of the two hole last year in 53 games. He's not optimal, but against the right pitching he could hold his own.

Pearce had most of his at bats in the #2 slot in the lineup last year. A high OBP is needed there also. The O's need more than one hitter with a high OBP.

Machado is going to hit #2 if he's healthy. I don't think there is much question about that. Once he got his feet back under him last year, he looked capable of providing a good OBP out of that spot.

I think there is a big question about where Machado hits in the lineup this year. Its going to be interesting to see what Buck does. However Pearce and Machado are likely to hit #2 and #5. Which one hits where will be interesting. I don't think either one hits leadoff.

Machado is going to hit #2 if he's healthy. I don't think there is much question about that. Once he got his feet back under him last year, he looked capable of providing a good OBP out of that spot.

Or good enough. We are not an OBP-based team and we're not likely to become one.

Or good enough. We are not an OBP-based team and we're not likely to become one.

But Coolbaugh may be more oriented to OBP than Presley was. That will not effect the older established players but it may affect the younger or less established ones. i could see Coolbaugh affecting Davis, Schoop, Manny, Joseph and Arencibia if he is on the team.

Archived