MASN: Steve Meleswski on Jon Schoop's Offense

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/01/pondering-whether-jonathan-schoop-can-take-his-offense-to-another-level.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Some scouts told me he projected as an offensive second baseman that could bat .280 with 10 to 15 homers. He already exceeded that homers total projection and now he needs to work on the average and plate-discipline skills.

Last winter Schoop was ranked as the No. 82 prospect in the sport by Baseball Prospectus and No. 86 by ESPN.

Higher ground?

His OBP can't really get any worse. Out of 486 major leaguers who had 300 PA over the last three seasons, Schoop ranked 482nd in OBP. He could improve by 50 points and still be in the bottom 25%. I think that is the kind of improvement we'll see; he'll still be a low OBP guy, but more respectable than last year, and his power numbers will increase enough for his to maintain his starting position.

If DD wants to improve the team OBP second base is the place to start. Can't have another .244 OBP there.

I'm shocked that anyone would think a 22 year-old is what he is to such a degree. He was still a 1.5 rWAR player despite the putrid OBP largely because of his defense and power.

His OBP can't really get any worse. Out of 486 major leaguers who had 300 PA over the last three seasons, Schoop ranked 482nd in OBP. He could improve by 50 points and still be in the bottom 25%. I think that is the kind of improvement we'll see; he'll still be a low OBP guy, but more respectable than last year, and his power numbers will increase enough for his to maintain his starting position.

Don't forget the defense he brings up the middle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/BzNnEEYCQAAomNs.mp4

Don't forget the defense he brings up the middle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/BzNnEEYCQAAomNs.mp4

His defense is very good, but won't carry him long-term if his OBP does not improve. His defense allowed the Orioles to invest in his development last year, but you can't make that investment year in and year out. I'm sure the O's believe he will improve with experience, and so are willing to be somewhat patient.

Playing Schoop as the primary 2B is a risk worth taking. His power and defense are hard to replace. At his age, plate discipline can be learned. I'm looking for steady improvement vis-a-vis plate discipline over the next 3 years.

Melvin Mora did at at 28 years old.

His defense is very good, but won't carry him long-term if his OBP does not improve. His defense allowed the Orioles to invest in his development last year, but you can't make that investment year in and year out. I'm sure the O's believe he will improve with experience, and so are willing to be somewhat patient.

Sure it will. Have you seen the other second base options in the majors right now?

His defense would have to be Manny Machado 2013 level good. He was good last year, but nowhere near that good. That said, there's also the power equation. 16 homers and 18 doubles at 22, that's something to build off. I loathe the poor OBP as much as anyone, but if he can add power and play plus defense it becomes a lot easier to live with it at the bottom of the lineup.

Schoop's minor league numbers are .268/.335/.407. Considering how young he was going through the system, it's reasonable to imagine the similar line from him in the majors; maybe a little lower in OBP and higher in slugging. A .742 OPS last year would translate to about a 109 OPS+.

Even if Schoop makes a small improvement -- say, .225/.275/.400 -- that's a .675 OPS, or roughly a 92 OPS+, from the #9 spot in the lineup.

Archived