Orioles DFA Ryan Lavarnway (Clears Waivers)

Greg

I defer to you on the subject. I don't even know what that is.

Basically ex-major leaguers that sign minor league deals have to be told five days out of OD if they are making the team. If not, they can opt-out or take a $100K retention bonus. They then get a June 1st opt out. It is part of the CBA and doesn't need to be included in the contract.

Wieters is probably on the DL or at least not catching to start the season.

Joseph and Arencibia - O's

Clevenger and Ward catch for the Tides

Lavarnway DH for the Tides

Ohlman at AA

Is Arencibia's defense good enough for Buck? I think he is here more for his bat then his catching skills. Since the team is lacking in offensive depth, he seems like the first guy to come up if there is an opening at 1B or DH.

Is Arencibia's defense good enough for Buck? I think he is here more for his bat then his catching skills. Since the team is lacking in offensive depth, he seems like the first guy to come up if there is an opening at 1B or DH.

I remember reading a thread here saying his defense is actually decent... I think that was from mlbtr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not protect home plate that well.

He’s made his fair share mistakes in the field (the worst probably being this Little League defense) and doesn’t do a very good job protecting home plate from base runners. But it wasn’t all bad from J.P. on defense – Mop Up Duty reported earlier in 2013 that Arencibia was turning more balls into strikes than any other catcher in baseball.

Where Arencibia really hurt the Blue Jays was at the plate, not behind it

As a catcher, throwing from the knees is not exactly how developing baseball players are instructed as they’re progressing through the minor leagues.

But it is a method that Arencibia is often resorting to in a season where the second-year catcher is being lauded overall for a marked improvement in his defensive play.

“I’ve been throwing to bases a lot more from my knees this year,” Arencibia said in a recent interview. “I feel it just saves me a little more time than having to get up and throw.”

Arencibia said he has been making throws from his knees for as long as he remembers, and it has not always been a popular style with his coaches.

Archived