Jim Duquette: Who leads off vs lefties for the O's?

wildcard

Jim Duquette was on Wall to Wall Baseball with Tom Davis. When asked the question, "Who leads off versus lefthanded pitching for the O's?" Jim had a hard time answering.

I think of Jim as a pretty knowledge baseball man and he is very familiar with the O's. But his answer showed how hard a question this is to answer.

Jim said that maybe Schoop would hit better and get promoted to the leadoff spot. He recognized that De Aza is the lead off hitter vs righties but has trouble with lefties.

Jim did not mention Alex Hassan who I think is a possible answer. Later in the program the question was " Are Aoki or Ichiro in the O's plans?" Jim said no to both. He said he thought that Aoki's defense had slipped enough that he could not play for the O's.

So what is your answer to that question. "Who leads off versus lefthanded pitching for the O's?"

Well, I think a Colby Rasmus acquisition might spell trouble for Lough making the team. I think Hassan can take Lough's place precisely because he can hit LH pitching.

1- Pearce, RF

2 - Machado, 3B

3 - Davis, 1B

4 - Jones, CF

5 - D Young, DH

6 - Hardy, SS

7 - Wieters, C

8 - Hassan, LF

9 - Schoop, 2B

Well, I think a Colby Rasmus acquisition might spell trouble for Lough making the team. I think Hassan can take Lough's place precisely because he can hit LH pitching.

1- Pearce, RF

2 - Machado, 3B

3 - Davis, 1B

4 - Jones, CF

5 - D Young, DH

6 - Hardy, SS

7 - Wieters, C

8 - Hassan, LF

9 - Schoop, 2B

Not scoring many runs with that line up.

If all Alex Hassan has to do is get on base as a lead off hitter I think he may be able to help the O's.

Hassan has a career 396 OBP in the minors in 2208 plate appearances.

Hassan has a 387 OBP at AAA in 1082 plate appearances.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hassan001ale

Hassan has a career 424 OBP vs lefties in 474 at plate appearance in the minors.

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=572910&split=3000&type=batter

Hassan had a 420 OBP vs lefties in 2014 at AAA in 143 plate appearances

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=572910&type=batter&split=2014

He doesn't hit many homers and he doesn't steal many bases but if all he has to do is get on base he is someone to watch this spring.

How is Hassan going to lead off when he's in Norfolk? De Aza hits lead off against all pitching to start the year.

That's a good point. Hassan is going to have to show something in Spring Training that makes Buck and DD think he needs to be on the team. Otherwise, I agree he will be at Norfolk. But he seems to have a skill in the area of a high OBP which the O's could use.

That's a good point. Hassan is going to have to show something in Spring Training that makes Buck and DD think he needs to be on the team. Otherwise, I agree he will be at Norfolk. But he seems to have a skill in the area of a high OBP which the O's could use.
Did you do the MLE calculations to see whether he is better than De Aza?

Did you do the MLE calculations to see whether he is better than De Aza?

I wouldn't know how, nor do I think it would be useful. Buck and DD are going to make the decision on who goes north. All that I am doing is pointing out tendencies that DD was already aware of when he put Hassan on the 40 man roster. The best thing that could happen is that there would be some competition in ST for the leadoff role. Or at least the leadoff role vs lefties.

Archived