Who the O's pick at 4... a no brainer.

I think we should take the best college hitter available in the next draft, and use our top 5 pick in 2009 (it seems to be a lock we will have one) on the best available pitcher.

I would spend our second and third round picks next season on shortstops and go with pitchers in 2009.

Obviously, it would mean that a talent would have to be there, but I'd like to see us stockpile a few shortstops in the upcoming draft.

In 2009, it will be time to really focus on pitching, again.

I agree that I'd love to see a position player be our top pick. We need plus bats in our system in the worst way. I'd love it to be Beckham but theres no gurantee that he will be there.

With the off season we've had so far and the arms that AM has stockpiled, I think the team is leaning that way too. But depending on how things fall it Matusz is there and Beckham and Alvarez are gone you have to seriously consider taking him. If Smoak and/or Hosmer continue to progress and join that elite group that just makes it a more interesting decision.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still really wanting us to put some more position prospects into the system so this is how I would have my board set. I'm sure that it will change a little throughout the season, but right now I would put them:

Alvarez

Beckham

Matusz

Hosmer

Smoak

Crow

I hear ya, and I don't necessarily disagree with your order, but you have to take the best player available with the # 4 pick regardless of position. There are certainly going to be additional good picks in rounds 2 and 3 that could develop into major league players, remember that Bedard was a 6th round pick, and if we improve our Latin American and international scouting we can find a SS there as well.

This is extremely pre-mature.

Vitters was not even in the top five at the start of last season.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. We can talk about who we like right now and all that stuff, but it's too premature to get into offering arguments over who is going to get picked where and why. Opinions of players can and will change over the course of the season.

Back in December, when Baseball America was putting together it's Prospect Handbook, they listed the top 100 HS and college prospects. At that time they saw RHP Tim Melville as the #1 HS prospect with SS Tim Beckham #2. Now one of their writers has predicted Beckham going 1st overall.

I'm going off of memory since I don't have the book with me, but their college rankings have changed, too. I believe the top 4 were Alvarez, Crow, Smoak and then Matusz. Most people are now assuming that Matusz now slots ahead of Crow and Smoak after all three. They also ranked RHP Tanner Scheppers down in the 50's somewhere, but just this week, Jim Callis said he thinks that Scheppers could be the 3rd college pitcher drafted.

These rankings tend to be sort of fluid, with changes being made often, and they haven't even started playing games yet.

I like talking about prospects and who we'd like to see the O's draft, but it's too early to seriously conjecture who will go where, specifically. We all know that the players mentioned above will go early, but that doesn't mean they'll be the 1st 4 taken. They could slide, other players step up, things change.

I think you have to add Justin Smoak and Eric Hosmer into the equation. Smoak is a switch hitting, slick fielding first baseman that should be on the same track as Wieters. Hosmer is considered by some to be the best pure hitter to come out of High School in several years. If Alvarez, Beckham, and Matusz go 1,2,3 I think that Crow would be in play, but so will the other two.

Excellent post... we agree.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. We can talk about who we like right now and all that stuff, but it's too premature to get into offering arguments over who is going to get picked where and why. Opinions of players can and will change over the course of the season.

Back in December, when Baseball America was putting together it's Prospect Handbook, they listed the top 100 HS and college prospects. At that time they saw RHP Tim Melville as the #1 HS prospect with SS Tim Beckham #2. Now one of their writers has predicted Beckham going 1st overall.

I'm going off of memory since I don't have the book with me, but their college rankings have changed, too. I believe the top 4 were Alvarez, Crow, Smoak and then Matusz. Most people are now assuming that Matusz now slots ahead of Crow and Smoak after all three. They also ranked RHP Tanner Scheppers down in the 50's somewhere, but just this week, Jim Callis said he thinks that Scheppers could be the 3rd college pitcher drafted.

These rankings tend to be sort of fluid, with changes being made often, and they haven't even started playing games yet.

I like talking about prospects and who we'd like to see the O's draft, but it's too early to seriously conjecture who will go where, specifically. We all know that the players mentioned above will go early, but that doesn't mean they'll be the 1st 4 taken. They could slide, other players step up, things change.

Outstanding post.

Can't see AM allowing the selection of a Boras client.

If he wants to build a talented team he will learn to take advantage of other team's lack of guts, much like the Tigers (Porcello, Miller), Diamondbacks (Drew), Angels (Weaver), Yanks (Brackman) and more.

Do we need to have a repeat of 04? Townsend over Drew, Weaver, Hughes, Billy Butler, Josh Fields, and Huston Street because he wasn't a Boras client and he was a college pitcher? Grow some and build a winning team.

... we have no real SS or 3B prospects in the minors, besides MAYBE Brandon Snyder.

3B - Scott Moore (age - 24), 1st Round, 2002

3B - Mike Costanzo (24), 2nd Round, 2005

3B - Brandon Snyder (21), 1st Round, 2005

3B - Billy Rowell (19), 1st Round, 2006

3B - Tyler Kolodny (20), 16th Round, 2007

It might be the best stocked position, talent-wise, other than pitcher, in our entire system.

It might be the best stocked position, talent-wise, other than pitcher, in our entire system.

Uhhh

Scott Moore -- We're looking at an average 3B at best

Mike Costanzo -- He's not staying at third, not with that rock for a glove

Brandon Snyder -- If he makes it, it'll be as a DH/1B

Billy Rowell -- I hope to god he stays at third, I'm guessing he gets switched to 1B at some point though

Tyler K...... -- Who?

Bottom line is beyond Rowell, who I think doesn't stick at 3rd anyways, we don't have any premier 3B/SS prospects. Beckham seems like a fit, if Alvarez isn't happening.

I actually meant to write 2B instead of 3B.

But now that I think about it...

Three of those guys won't be staying at third (Rowell, Snyder, and Costanzo).

Moorse is ML utility at best.

And Kolodny will never be a starter, IMO.

I actually meant to write 2B instead of 3B.

But now that I think about it...

Three of those guys won't be staying at third (Rowell, Snyder, and Costanzo).

Moorse is ML utility at best.

And Kolodny will never be a starter, IMO.

To say that Rowell , Costanzo, and Snyder will not stay at third could be an accurate statement, however, for the time being it appears that we have some potential, especially with Rowell and Snyder.

Moore still could develop into a solid 3B'man, although he hasn't been overly impressive in his MiL career as yet. To label him as a utility guy may be premature, although, again, in time this could turn out to be true. Costanzo also has time to show what he can do, although I am a bit leery of his defensive capabilities and ability to hit for enough average to play ML ball consistently.

Kolodny is a surging teenager, moving around in Rookie ball and hoping to get to Delmarva sooner, rather than later. So he is years away, with a promising future ahead.

Overall the '08 season will establish a clearer picture of the depth at 3B and 1B as well, further bringing our future positional outlook a bit more into focus.

Archived