The Fan is home of the Orioles now

Greg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Na....1280 comes in and out too. Especially at night. I have a teenage daughter and do a lot of picking up and dropping off of her and her friends right around the area. But, fortunately it will never be too long, just most likely when Manny hits the division winning walkoff HR or something like that.

Man that surprises me some.

I know where I used to live closer to the the Frederick County line WTTR wasn't always a great signal. Of course in those days AM930 in Frederick had the games.

MASN is the only thing keeping me from dropping cable. Now that I can get Joe Angel on FM quality radio this is more attractive.

But its really hard to part with every Orioles game on HD TV. REALLY hard.

I wonder if this opens up the idea of adding Scott and Jeremy on 105.7 back on MASN? I think when they stopped airing it I think it was around the time the Orioles went back to WBAL. I have a vague recollection they said it wasn't related but you have to wonder.

You won't miss Dave Johnson and Tom Davis?

Last time 105.7 had it those two did the pre and post game on the radio. I can't remember what year but eventually they had their Wall to Wall show on the radio on WBAL after the Orioles postgame. This news hurts Brett Hollander and Keith Mills as much as anyone. I guess Casey Willet will stay on, but who knows?

They could air Scott and Jeremy from 2-5pm before the Mid-Atlantic sports report on MASN.

To everyone complaining about signal (both ways), a very basic understanding of AM (for HF band) and FM (VHF band) will help.

AM radio works on a lower frequency. 3-30 mhz. FM works from, roughly, 30-300. If you think about radio waves for just a second, the hertz will tell you the frequency that it waves at per second. The much higher range of FM 30-300 will simply not go as far, but it will also sound clearer because the chances of skip are lower.

However, the AM band will miss certain spots much easier, but it can travel infinitely farther. I can frequently hear transmissions from all around the world, and I'm not exaggerating here, while I'm at work on AM. Typically, at night, we'll go to a lower freq because it works better, so you'll get more range, hence picking up the broadcast in places like upstate NY.

So if you live in Baltimore or the metro area, this news should be a good thing. People living a little farther out, this sucks.

Great point and something I completely forgot. Damn. I won't be able to listen to home games in my backyard while eating dinner because the crowd noise will tip the action. I forgot how annoying that was. Old timers won't be able to listen to the radio at the game on their pocket radios due to the delay.

Headphones.

Headphones.

Yeah, I'm not sure that would fly with my girlfriend though :D, and it still doesn't help people attending the games who like to listen while they watch live. There is a significant (5-8 second) delay with an FM signal that doesn't exist with an AM signal. I'm sure you can find posts of people complaining about this five years ago the last time the O's were on 105.7.

Yeah, I'm not sure that would fly with my girlfriend though :D, and it still doesn't help people attending the games who like to listen while they watch live. There is a significant (5-8 second) delay with an FM signal that doesn't exist with an AM signal. I'm sure you can find posts of people complaining about this five years ago the last time the O's were on 105.7.

Wow! 5-8 seconds would be annoying as hell. I was thinking 1-2 seconds.

Wow! 5-8 seconds would be annoying as hell. I was thinking 1-2 seconds.

Out of market fans that watch or listen on mlb.tv have anywhere from a 30-60 second delay, and its worse on the HD or radio feeds. It really sucks having things spoiled on twitter or game threads. 5-8 seconds is nothing.

Out of market fans that watch or listen on mlb.tv have anywhere from a 30-60 second delay, and its worse on the HD or radio feeds. It really sucks having things spoiled on twitter or game threads. 5-8 seconds is nothing.

My favorite is getting a text from my O's fan buddy before the play happens. Sometimes I just tell him I am listening or watching on MLB just to avoid it.

Archived