Time to Get Fowler? (Traded to Cubs)

Os84

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how does it change the deal you proposed?

Also, cost-controlled is what the Astros will want. So 6 cheap years of a guy like Wright could be fair for one year of a $9 OF with questionable defense.

I think it's safe to assume that Fowler would be more than adequate defensively where he would actually play for the O's - as a corner OFer. Wright has very limited trade value.

I've already said they should go after Fowler; my stance hasn't changed. But the team could get one of the Arizona OF, or Colby Rasmus, or acquire Pompey from Toronto for Duquette. All these scenarios and no clear indication the team is leaning in any direction. Make a decision already!!

I think it's safe to assume that Fowler would be more than adequate defensively where he would actually play for the O's - as a corner OFer. Wright has very limited trade value.

I think Wright could be a piece. Depends on their needs. I don't know the Astros system. Maybe add another B guy to the deal.

But I still maintain there's no way we part with one of our 6 starting pitchers for him. Not even Norris, who they wouldn't want because he would only a one-year rental for them and we wouldn't want to trade because his one-year price is a better deal as a starter than Fowler's 9 mil as an OFer.

Guy is not worth 9 million!

He is if we can get him and extend him several years on a decent deal. He puts up a lot of offensive value and being a corner OF will help lessen the severity of his negative defensive impact quite a bit.

But I agree he wouldn't be worth his salary next year if we couldn't extend him, simply because we'd probably have to give up a decent prospect or two for a short-term player.

So you'd pay him like Markakis....because production wise that is what you'd be getting....except worse defense and a few more steals.

His OBP the last four years has been .363-.389. Markakis has been .329-.363. He is also out OPSing Markakis by a similar margin. I think Fowler's defense in LF would play just fine. Plus Fowler is three years younger. He certainly deserves the same money as Markakis if not more.

2014 28 Houston Astros $7,350,000 4.168 contracts

2015 Status 3rd-Year Arb Eligible, Earliest Arb Eligible: 2013, Earliest Free Agent: 2016

He is due a raise AND is a free agent after this year. Not old, 29 this year.

An ideal corner OF who can get on base. He does strikeout but also takes walks and steals some bases. Some power.

Switch hitter crushes LHP, pretty good vs. RHP.

How much do you give up for a 1 year rental?

Archived