Time to Get Fowler? (Traded to Cubs)

Os84

That doesn't mean we trade guys with more value than we are receiving.

Also, when those "good players" provide little value above their compensation, and are out the door the next year, it's not the best idea to trade guys you have for multiple years.

Value is perceived, but you're in the minority year. Gonzalez for Fowler would have been a perfectly acceptable and fair trade. Half the trade ideas suggested on this site are wildly lopsided. You have to give quality to quality. We can't expect to get a serviceable major leaguer for Brian Matusz or other middling prospects. It's just not realistic. If you take off the orange tinted glasses for a minute, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp.

And in regards to my stance...Fowler would have been a clear upgrade in the OF for us. Any situation which calls for David Lough to get regular ABs for the Orioles is not a good one.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Value is perceived, but you're in the minority year. Gonzalez for Fowler would have been a perfectly acceptable and fair trade. Half the trade ideas suggested on this site are wildly lopsided. You have to give quality to quality. We can't expect to get a serviceable major leaguer for Brian Matusz or other middling prospects. It's just not realistic. If you take off the orange tinted glasses for a minute, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp.

And in regards to my stance...Fowler would have been a clear upgrade in the OF for us. Any situation which calls for David Lough to get regular ABs for the Orioles is not a good one.

Agreed. But I love Gonzo. He made 529K last year. That's ridiculous. 159IP at 3.23 era. That's value. Would Chen, Lough, and Matusz got it done?

Archived