Dan Duquette Duplicity Thread

weams

Maybe a minor point but maybe not. For the record, and to clarify where the story of Duquette began, it was Buster Olney of ESPN who broke the story on a tweet at 6:57 on the morning of December 7th. Rosenthal followed up about 30 minutes later at 7:23 on the first morning of the Winter Meetings in San Diego. Let the Buster Bashing begin

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe a minor point but maybe not. For the record, and to clarify where the story of Duquette began, it was Buster Olney of ESPN who broke the story on a tweet at 6:57 on the morning of December 7th. Rosenthal followed up about 30 minutes later at 7:23 on the first morning of the Winter Meetings in San Diego. Let the Buster Bashing begin

No, Buster is a decent guy. He has not added to the fury here.

I don't obsess over Ken Rosenthal like some others so I don't know enough about him to comment on that. Apparently, according to you guys, he has a grudge against Angelos. Maybe he does. The question remains. Is he making stuff up or reporting legitimate information. In this case, it looks like legitimate information.

Again, whatever Ken Rosenthal's motives are, the STORY here is that the Jays are interested in DD for their CEO job and Duquette wants the job, and we'll see what happens.

Yeah, you've said that. Over and over and over.

I'll spare you from repeating what I said about what I think of the timing of his reporting and the source thereof. You choose to skip past that part, and that's your right. Some of us are very familiar with Ken's history, both when he wrote for the Baltimore Sun, and in the years after. Hopefully you'll extend us the same courtesy and understanding of how we feel about Rosenthal.

Basta.

Doesn't it seem funny to you that Olney spread this first yet everyone remembers what Rosenthal wrote 30 minutes later? I wasn't frustrated with what Olney wrote. I haven't been frustrated with what Roch wrote (although toxic caught me by surprise). I was upset by everything that Rosenthal and a couple others wrote on the subject until he chilled yesterday. It is almost like Olney reported news and Rosenthal had some news sprinkled in with his opinions and feelings. Of course, maybe you're right that we're all just sensitive and Ken is as even handed as they come...

I felt that Olney simply reported that the Blue Jays were searching, and that their list included Williams, Terry Ryan, Dan Duquette, and Mike Rizzo. There was another name, but I forget it.

I felt that Olney simply reported that the Blue Jays were searching, and that their list included Williams, Terry Ryan, Dan Duquette, and Mike Rizzo. There was another name, but I forget it.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: The Blue Jays' ownership is actively seeking a replacement for longtime CEO Paul Beeston. Dan Duquette among candidates discussed.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rosenthal takes a different slant

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> GM Dan Duquette a top candidate to be <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>’ president. Move would be a promotion. Difficult for O’s to stand in way.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

ETA Then he adds the gasoline

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette tug-of-war raises thorny question: How can he give <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> full, undivided attention if he wants to run <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>?</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

But it's O.K. if the ChiSox take a pass

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Again, sources say that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash">#WhiteSox</a> are balking at granting Williams permission to speak to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> about becoming president/CEO.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: The Blue Jays' ownership is actively seeking a replacement for longtime CEO Paul Beeston. Dan Duquette among candidates discussed.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

Rosenthal takes a different slant

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> GM Dan Duquette a top candidate to be <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>’ president. Move would be a promotion. Difficult for O’s to stand in way.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

ETA Then he adds the gasoline

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette tug-of-war raises thorny question: How can he give <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> full, undivided attention if he wants to run <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>?</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

But it's O.K. if the ChiSox take a pass

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Again, sources say that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash">#WhiteSox</a> are balking at granting Williams permission to speak to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> about becoming president/CEO.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

I think Ken has better sources then Buster. Let the Ken hate go cause everything he has said Roch has confirmed. So call out Roch too.

As did Angelos. Twice now. Why drop the Chicago angle but continue to pick at us?
:agree: Chicago says, "no" and the story goes away. However, Baltimore raises "thorny questions" and possible "conflict of interest."
I think Ken has better sources then Buster. Let the Ken hate go cause everything he has said Roch has confirmed. So call out Roch too.
Ask Eddie Murray what he still thinks of him, two dozen years after Rosenthal and Steadman ran him out of town with their reporting. Ask Ripken what he thought of Rosenthal's reporting on the Streak. Ask Peter Angelos if Rosenthal has ever written a straightforward article on him. Years and years of negative reporting.

:agree: Chicago says, "no" and the story goes away. However, Baltimore raises "thorny questions" and possible "conflict of interest."

The Chicago talk has died cause they don't want Williams. They want Dan.

Olney's tweet was pure fact. Dan just one of the candidates. Ken's were (harsh) opinions sprinkled with fact. If you can't see the difference...

Yea, but he doesn't need sources for this tweets. He just decides to point out a conflict of interests for dd. he also decides to point out that we can't stop him from leaving, yet also tweets that the sox CAN stop their gm from leaving. And also, does not question the sox gm in his ability to do the job while coveting the jays job. So I think that's where some of the animosity comes from. Why is it a non story that a couple other teams nipped this in the bud? But the orioles are being dragged through the mud until they cave in to the jays request. It's a damn act of terror. We are being held hostage.

Olney's tweet was pure fact. Dan just one of the candidates. Ken's were (harsh) opinions sprinkled with fact. If you can't see the difference...

Roch has said the same thing as Ken so call him out too.

Roch has said the same thing as Ken so call him out too.
I'll echo this
I'm starting to believe you rankle people because you don't interpret tone well. Sheldon on Big Bang Theory doesn't get tone either like most Asberger's Syndrome people. It is the tone man, not the underlying facts. Just take our word for it. We'll survive.

Archived