Ed Rogers attempts a Coup D'etat

wildcard

1. Gillick left when his contract was up. He wasn't shown the door by Angelos. He had no desire to return.

2. Duquette can't just resign from the Orioles and then sign with the Blue Jays.

1. Yes, he wasn't shown the door, but he was kept here until his contract was up (and I am sure that was pleasant.) 2. Yes, you are right,my bad, there must be a no compete clause in the contract DD signed?? Meaning he would have to sit out till 2019 if he doesn't fulfill it? Do we know that is the case?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Yes, he wasn't shown the door, but he was kept here until his contract was up (and I am sure that was pleasant.) 2. Yes, you are right,my bad, there must be a no compete clause in the contract DD signed?? Meaning he would have to sit out till 2019 if he doesn't fulfill it? Do we know that is the case?

Did he ask for permission to leave? From what I was told, he basically concentrated on the minor leagues his last year and left the major league team to Kevin Malone.

Yes. He can quit. But he can't just quit and go sign with Toronto tomorrow. He'd be required to sit on his rear end for the duration of the contract he abandoned. Then he can go job hunting and seek new employment elsewhere.

I agree. My bad. Although all the more reason to acknowledge that DD is not being "forced" to do anything here. He signed the contract, he knew the ramifications and he will likely choose to continue to be successful and well paid here rather than sitting idle and not. A good choice. If DD had longed for a President's job somewhere, i presume he could have negotiated an escape clause for that particular type of job coming available.

No one here has seen his contract. We can assume, since GMs are never promoted, that there was no specific language to allow for this, otherwise Peter Angelos would not be so firm in his worlds towards this.

Did he ask for permission to leave? From what I was told, he basically concentrated on the minor leagues his last year and left the major league team to Kevin Malone.

I don't have any inside info about it, but my sense at the time was that even if Gillick were to try to leave for another GM job while under contract, it likely would have led to the same (or worse reaction) from Potter and that Gillick likely felt the better course would be to just fulfill his remaining contract year. But I could be totally off base about that.

I agree. My bad. Although all the more reason to acknowledge that DD is not being "forced" to do anything here. He signed the contract, he knew the ramifications and he will likely choose to continue to be successful and well paid here rather than sitting idle and not. A good choice. If DD had longed for a President's job somewhere, i presume he could have negotiated an escape clause for that particular type of job coming available.

When he signed, I'm sure he was just happy to be back in baseball. And when he got the extension, visions of becoming a team president may not have occurred to him. Had he asked for such a clause, I think Angelos would have refused. Remember when MacPhail tried to sign Joe Girardi as manager, but Girardi wanted an out if offered the Yankees or Cubs job. The O's decided to move on.

He was out of baseball for ten years. I am sure he loved his extension and never thought it would be a hindrance. This Ed Rogers ploy is an absolute curveball. The guy is operating way off the chart. He has been ousted from his own company, and now only runs the trust which has control over the team and stadium at this point.

When he signed, I'm sure he was just happy to be back in baseball. And when he got the extension, visions of becoming a team president may not have occurred to him. Had he asked for such a clause, I think Angelos would have refused. Remember when MacPhail tried to sign Joe Girardi as manager, but Girardi wanted an out if offered the Yankees or Cubs job. The O's decided to move on.

Well, I think given DD's desire for the position (and seemingly an affinity for Canada) and his career in baseball management, that the possibility probably did occur to DD, but he probably either correctly assumed that Angelos would have refused or maybe he even did float it and Angelos refused as you suggest.

If Angelo does indeed refuse to let Duquette leave for what is a clear promotion you can be sure that that is going to have a negative effect on hiring FO people in the future. None of the top talent is going to come to a place where they can't leave for promotions as they can do with pretty much every other team.

This is absurd. You are wrong at every level. The White Sox told the Blue Jays to pound sand on this very same matter. Catch up. This particular case is unprecedented, given the positions involved, the current 4-year contract of the man involved, the fact that the position being discussed is currently occupied, the timing, and the divisional rivalry of the teams. Catch up. Toronto is leaving their current CEO in limbo. Now that is mistreatment, not what PA is doing. Catch up. DD is under contract for four more years. Honoring one's contract is the expectation and the norm - in baseball and all other walks of life. Catch up. Toronto has no business pursuing another team's employee after being denied permission to do so, as they were in this case by Chicago, Baltimore, and Washington. Catch up. If you want to come to our site and try to stir up trouble, at least have your facts straight. Catch up.

Andy Macphail was the hottest GM in baseball in 1994. He had engineered the Twins to two World Series titles. He was stolen away by a similar offer of a promotion and a lot more money from a media conglomerate (Tribune) to move to the Cubs and the Twins got Hector Trinidad (who never made the majors). This kind of compensation process obviously happened with Theo, but it also happened when Lou Piniella wanted to move to Tampa when he was under contract to Seattle and the Rays sent Randy Winn in return. Winn was a very good player (had just finished .821 OPS full season at 28 for the Rays). I wonder what we would ask if we were going to trade Buck. God forbid.

Other strange examples would include Bill Belichick leaving Jets after one day to go to the Patriots. Jets received a number one draft pick in compensation (Shaun Ellis). The Oakland Raiders (Al Davis) extracted four first and second round picks and 8 million in exchange for Tampa Bay being allowed to steal away Jon Gruden as head coach. In 1976, Charley Finley of the As let his under contract manager, Chuck Tanner, go to the Pirates for Manny Sanguillen and 100,000 dollars.

I do agree that this is very unusual and that Toronto should be severely sanctioned if there is absolutely any evidence of any type of contact with DD's agent or him.

The Cubs were not even in the same league as the Twins when MacPhail was hired. It was not a move to disadvantage as division rival.

The other baseball moves you talk about here are managers not GMs.

This is absurd. You are wrong at every level. The White Sox told the Blue Jays to pound sand on this very same matter. Catch up. This particular case is unprecedented, given the positions involved, the current 4-year contract of the man involved, the fact that the position being discussed is currently occupied, the timing, and the divisional rivalry of the teams. Catch up. Toronto is leaving their current CEO in limbo. Now that is mistreatment, not what PA is doing. Catch up. DD is under contract for four more years. Honoring one's contract is the expectation and the norm - in baseball and all other walks of life. Catch up. Toronto has no business pursuing another team's employee after being denied permission to do so, as they were in this case by Chicago, Baltimore, and Washington. Catch up. If you want to come to our site and try to stir up trouble, at least have your facts straight. Catch up.

To think, the Yankees and the evil new Commissioner started this all!

A bit of controversy from fans of other teams trolling this site sometimes brings out the best in us. It's been known to bad us together on an issue. If Brian Cashman were offered the role of President of Baseball Ops for the Orioles today, he would take it if he could!

The Cubs were not even in the same league as the Twins when MacPhail was hired. It was not a move to disadvantage as division rival.

The other baseball moves you talk about here are managers not GMs.

Not sure though whether this is a move designed specifically because we are their division rival. I think that gives Ed Rogers way too much credit for being that focused. There is a story in the Toronto News that Ed Rogers apparently got these suggestions at a lunch with Randy Levine, MFYs president.

"Edward Rogers and his good friend Roger Rai, a “sports consultant” to the Rogers empire, met with New York Yankees president Randy Levine in New York looking for suggestions as to who to hire as the next president.

Levine gave the two friends from their University of Western Ontario days, a pair of names: Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox and Duquette.

Now, if you ran a team looking for help hiring a manager, a general manager, a president, or whatever ... would you ask a division rival for help?" http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/14/rumours-swirl-around-blue-jays-orioles

It would disadvantage us certainly, but it disadvantaged the Twins even more given their two World Series appearances with Macphail. I know the other examples are managers, however, they were unprecedented too (until they happened.) I still think that the most likely scenario is for this to not happen or, if it does, I predict an unexpectedly large haul from the Jays.

Not sure though whether this is a move designed specifically because we are their division rival. I think that gives Ed Rogers way too much credit for being that focused. There is a story in the Toronto News that Ed Rogers apparently got these suggestions at a lunch with Randy Levine, MFYs president.

"Edward Rogers and his good friend Roger Rai, a “sports consultant” to the Rogers empire, met with New York Yankees president Randy Levine in New York looking for suggestions as to who to hire as the next president.

Levine gave the two friends from their University of Western Ontario days, a pair of names: Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox and Duquette.

Now, if you ran a team looking for help hiring a manager, a general manager, a president, or whatever ... would you ask a division rival for help?" http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/14/rumours-swirl-around-blue-jays-orioles

It would disadvantage us certainly, but it disadvantaged the Twins even more given their two World Series appearances with Macphail. I know the other examples are managers, however, they were unprecedented too (until they happened.) I still think that the most likely scenario is for this to not happen or, if it does, I predict an unexpectedly large haul from the Jays.

Having the Yankees involved makes it even more unlikely that Peter Angelos will give his approval. Two division rivals conspiring to steal his VP of Baseball Operations is not something that Peter will back down from IMO. There is not reason that the O's should be disadvantage at all in this situation. Its is not of their making.

Archived