TT: The Orioles should let Duquette walk

Tony-OH

It not a simple matter of more money and a better title, IMO. It's a matter of how much power DD would have with TOR v BAL. Here he has to share the reins with Buck, Brady and the PA boys. He may feel he'll have more control in TOR.

Power is a motivation, but still I think the number one factor is probably

[video=youtube;_SLb7MH-KJI]

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good points. There's a chance that DD would like to use this situation to get more authority in the Orioles organization. That would be a good reason not to address the rumors to the press and let this play out a little. A restructured deal with the O's could include more guarantees of autonomy. I'm sure that would be attractive to DD and any GM equivalent in the O's organization.
Not gonna happen while Buck is here. The reason he hasn't commented is because he is interested in the job.

The alarming thing to me is that DD wants to go. (Apparently). What do the Blue Jays have over the Orioles? A little more money to spend, but not all that much. The Orioles seem better set up for long term success unless DD has made the judgment that ownership is cheap and too interested in profit...

This gave me a chuckle.

It not a simple matter of more money and a better title, IMO. It's a matter of how much power DD would have with TOR v BAL. Here he has to share the reins with Buck, Brady and the PA boys. He may feel he'll have more control in TOR.

Sometimes it's best to live with the devil(s) you know. Ed Rogers sounds like a completely loose cannon -- not obvious sharing reins with him would be a bargain.

Some of the previous posts above this one might be getting to the heart of it. It might be about controle. In Toronto, he would have complete control. Here, Buck is an integral part of the team leadership. Buck is far more knowledgable about ALL the details of the organization than most managers are. He knows what is going on at every minor league level, you can see it when he talks about minor leaguers occasionally during his press conferences.

And from everything I have heard, Buck has the ear of the owner.

I think it's a good thing that Buck has so much influence here because I think Buck is a great baseball guy.

But the fact is, Buck will always have a certain degree of power and influence here, while Toronto's manager is merely... an employee.

And that's not going to change. If he wants to completely run the show from top to bottom... Toronto is a better place for Dan than here.

Yes. :agree:

The bottom line is winning at the major league level.

1. The O's didn't win for 14 years before DD arrived and they have won the last three years with him.

2. It took Peter Angelos 22 years be find a VP of Baseball Operation that he liked and that could win. It will probably be very hard to find that combination again.

3. I think DD has demonstrated that he would like a promotion and raise if it offered to him. I don't blame DD for that. He hasn't shown that needs to be in Toronto. If the O's offer something attractive he would probably be glad to stay.

All the internal back story is minutiae to me. The O's are producing winners under DD. That is the bottom line to me.

The second point is key.

Not gonna happen while Buck is here. The reason he hasn't commented is because he is interested in the job.

Maybe. It could also be that this is something of an embarrassment because of the hamfisted way everything's unfolded. My personal theory is that PA has told him to STFU while he deals with it.

Maybe. It could also be that this is something of an embarrassment because of the hamfisted way everything's unfolded. My personal theory is that PA has told him to STFU while he deals with it.
What reason would DD have for not saying he wasn't interested in the job if that were true? What reason would PA have to not want him to say that? PA really wants the prospects more than he wants DD, and it would undermine his bargaining position? :rolleyestf:

Why do people keep posting speculation like it is fact on this matter?

Its really getting annoying.

The facts:

1.Tor leaked their interest in DD to the press, possibly breaking the tamper rule somewhere around the winter mtgs

2. Angelos said DD is under contract and isn't going anywhere

3. Last week Tor again leaked interest in DD in a possible effort to push the issue and make the O's look like the bad guys

4. MLB contacted someone in the O's front office on the matter (no one really knows what was specifically discussed.)

5. Angelos again stated that DD is under contract and isn't going anywhere

6. Rosenthal claims anonymous people in the O's front office are fine with DD leaving stating it is becoming an issue

Anything else I missed that was either stated as fact in the media or came straight from the horse's mouth?

As far as I can tell, DD has never stated a preference to work in Tor as so many people here not only speculate but treat it like it is a stated fact. Talk about mob mentality. If OH were the 1940s deep south, I'd fear that DD would have already been linched or tarred and feathered.

Here's an option, why doesn't someone leak to Rosenthal that the O's are interested in making Anthopoulos the supreme leader of the O's (that sounds like the highest and most dignified title someone could have in baseball.) Fight fire with fire, while shining a light on how ridiculous this whole thing is.

What reason would DD have for not saying he wasn't interested in the job it that were true? What reason would PA have to not want him to say that? PA really wants the prospects more than he wants DD, and it would undermine his bargaining position? :rolleyestf:

I'm not quite sure you're trying to say with your first sentence. DD is under no obligation to tell the media anything that would a) prematurely diminish a bargaining position or b) go against the wishes of his employer who may have instructed him to butt out of a situation that someone above him now has to clean up.

Does PA want prospects more than Dan Duquette as GM? Who knows, certainly not you or I, but why wouldn't PA listen to a compensation offer if it cost him nothing insofar as control of the situation was completely in his hands?

Here's an option, why doesn't someone leak to Rosenthal that the O's are interested in making Anthopoulos the supreme leader of the O's (that sounds like the highest and most dignified title someone could have in baseball.) Fight fire with fire, while shining a light on how ridiculous this whole thing is.

Only problem is that we would then be stuck with Anthopoulos. And he is the worst GM. They never win anything. Ever/ They spend all kinds of money and always stink. Ruben Amaro is better.

I'm not quite sure you're trying to say with your first sentence. DD is under no obligation to tell the media anything that would a) prematurely diminish a bargaining position or b) go against the wishes of his employer who may have instructed him to butt out of a situation that someone above him now has to clean up.

Does PA want prospects more than Dan Duquette as GM? Who knows, certainly not you or I, but why wouldn't PA listen to a compensation offer if it cost him nothing insofar as control of the situation was completely in his hands?

There would be no story if DD simply said he had no interest in talking to TOR. Why wouldn't PA be happy with that?

I believe if forced to stay that DD will do his best to do his job professionally.

With that said, I also believe that it is becoming clear that the dynamic that this situation is setting up within the organization is one that is positive. Its hard enough to win in baseball today when everyone is on the same page and relatively happy

While I believe that DD, Buck, Brady and everyone else in the FO will try to do their jobs in a professional manner, its boderline delusional to think that these PEOPLE all work and operate in a vacuum in which personal feelings, dislikes, anger or disappointment have no impact on their performance.

I am a professional, I work in a professional environment and have seen power struggles like this go down. Nobody intentionally tanks doing their job who is professional but the simple truth is that when an organization becomes fractured and sides start to form, lots of tiny little fires, drama and tension occurs. All these things have an impact on the overall performance of the team dynamic.

For me, DD is not irreplaceable. He has had a large hand in what has happened here but is far from the only one. If letting DD go means this team can get back to what it needs to do to develop prospects and put this organization in a position longterm to win, then so be it. Get what you can, move on and lets get this show back on the road again so we can talk about real baseball issues and not this nonsense.

I believe if forced to stay that DD will do his best to do his job professionally.

With that said, I also believe that it is becoming clear that the dynamic that this situation is setting up within the organization is one that is positive. Its hard enough to win in baseball today when everyone is on the same page and relatively happy

While I believe that DD, Buck, Brady and everyone else in the FO will try to do their jobs in a professional manner, its boderline delusional to think that these PEOPLE all work and operate in a vacuum in which personal feelings, dislikes, anger or disappointment have no impact on their performance.

I am a professional, I work in a professional environment and have seen power struggles like this go down. Nobody intentionally tanks doing their job who is professional but the simple truth is that when an organization becomes fractured and sides start to form, lots of tiny little fires, drama and tension occurs. All these things have an impact on the overall performance of the team dynamic.

For me, DD is not irreplaceable. He has had a large hand in what has happened here but is far from the only one. If letting DD go means this team can get back to what it needs to do to develop prospects and put this organization in a position longterm to win, then so be it. Get what you can, move on and lets get this show back on the road again so we can talk about real baseball issues and not this nonsense.

What you can get is a couple washed up and injured minor leaguers. Are you saying to settle for that?

Archived