I still don't think Lough has a place on this team

Three Run Homer

vs RHP: Pearce DH, De Aza RF, Jones CF, Lough LF

vs LHP: Young DH, De Aza RF, Jones CF, Pearce LF

We need someone to back up Jones, plus Lough's defense gets him some starts vs RHP. If he can hit like he did in the second half he will stick in the lineup, otherwise he will go back to his defensive replacement role. Either way he makes it as the only guy who can play CF other than Jones. If that means 7-man bullpen then so be it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need someone to back up Jones, plus Lough's defense gets him some starts vs RHP. If he can hit like he did in the second half he will stick in the lineup, otherwise he will go back to his defensive replacement role. Either way he makes it as the only guy who can play CF other than Jones. If that means 7-man bullpen then so be it.

I like this, but I'd have the Lough/Pearce platoon in RF. Both have better arms than De Aza.

De Aza can play CF, so you don't need to keep Lough for that reason. That said, I think he makes the team barring an unforeseen move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In comparing Lough to De Aza, some people assume De Aza is a much better hitter, but the last 2 years, De Aza has a 98 OPS+ (even with the great finish with the O's) and a 97 OPS+. Lough's been at 96 both years. And Lough is a demonstrably better fielder.

In comparing Lough to De Aza, some people assume De Aza is a much better hitter, but the last 2 years, De Aza has a 98 OPS+ (even with the great finish with the O's) and a 97 OPS+. Lough's been at 96 both years. And Lough is a demonstrably better fielder.

This. Lough is the better player as is demonstrated in both flavors of WAR. Especially rWAR. He's also under control longer and cheaper. He should not be ousted in favor of De Aza.

This. Lough is the better player as is demonstrated in both flavors of WAR. Especially rWAR. He's also under control longer and cheaper. He should not be ousted in favor of De Aza.

But...but... Lough looked so bad the first two months of the season last year.

That has to count extra against him.

The most optimistic spin on the offseason is that the O's are gambling that Delmon Young and Steve Pearce can stay healthy and maintain their 2014 productivity while moving into expanded roles as the regular DH and RF.

Let's assume that's true. What does that mean for the rest of the roster, barring further moves? Some observations:

(1) Alejandro De Aza needs a platoon partner, and Delmon Young should not be playing the field. That means we need an extra outfielder who hits right handed, like Alvarez or Hassan.

(2) I think the O's wind up with an 8 man bullpen for most of the season, because they are going to want to keep Jason Garcia. Acquiring Garcia in the rule V draft is arguably the only really exciting, positive thing to happen to the team this offseason. But keeping Garcia means having an 8 man bullpen:

Britton

O'Day

Hunter

Brach

Matusz

Wright

Long Man

Garcia

Even if you trade Matusz, you probably just replace him with Ryan Webb. As it stands, the Long Man is probably whichever of the six starters who doesn't make the rotation. Even if we trade a starter, the long man is probably TJ or Logan Verrett.

(3) If you have an 8 man bullpen, you can only have a 3 man bench--Caleb Joseph, Ryan Flaherty and your fourth outfielder.

Putting all this together, I don't see how Lough fits in, even though we didn't sign Rasmus. Lough has a decent skill set for fourth outfielder--excellent defense and can run, and is probably a better hitter than he showed in 2014. But he can't be De Aza's platoon partner.

I disagree with a lot of this. They are not going to go with an 8-man bullpen. And as things stand now, De Aza and Pearce are going to get opportunities to play full-time, no platoons. Delmon is really the one who needs a platoon partner.

To me, David Lough should be the everyday RFer. He is far superior to either DeAza or Pearce defensively and has a much better throwing arm. Baseball is about scoring more runs than you allow, and Lough will go a long way to helping in the run prevention category.

Himm lets see Buck likes DEFENSE 1st

yep Lough gets a spot. ;)

Buck loves Lough so much that he barely played him in the 2nd half. The O's traded for De Aza because they were dissatisfied with Lough, and De Aza wound up filling the role that Lough was supposed to fill.

Lough would make a good 4th outfielder for some ML club, despite his struggles with the bat last season. He just isn't the right 4th outfielder for a team that needs a righty platoon outfielder.

The O's can keep both Lough and Alvarez/Hassan if they have a four man bench. But who goes if the O's have a 7 man pen?

Buck loves Lough so much that he barely played him in the 2nd half. The O's traded for De Aza because they were dissatisfied with Lough, and De Aza wound up filling the role that Lough was supposed to fill.

Lough would make a good 4th outfielder for some ML club, despite his struggles with the bat last season. He just isn't the right 4th outfielder for a team that needs a righty platoon outfielder.

The O's can keep both Lough and Alvarez/Hassan if they have a four man bench. But who goes if the O's have a 7 man pen?

If they have a 7-man pen, they will have a 4-man bench. That is the norm in the AL.

I don't think the Orioles are going to keep an 8 man bullpen. Has a good team ever kept an 8-man bullpen for the majority of a season? I know the Cubs did for much of last season, but I am curious whether a competitive team has ever done it for more than a couple weeks.

I don't see that happening so long as the starting rotation is doing its job.

Archived