Set up perfectly for a new G.M.?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A new GM will certainly have some payroll flexibility. But can ou imagine if we signed someone like John Hart to set the course for the future. It makes me shudder to think about such a possibility. The othe aspect of a new GM coming in is the June draft. I think the O's have five picks among the first 100 selections. Very important that this draft is a success. This and who the GM selects to sign for extentions are critical decisions in the upcoming months. I wouldn't mind if Duquette were around for another year just to do those two things.

Maybe a new GM would look to lower the base payroll level an put his own fingerprints on the organization.

90 million seems like a place the Angelos family would feel comfortable with a reasonable product on the field.

Don't see them punting during Manny's 4-6 seasons. Our rotation compared to most will be dirt cheap. They are going to have to spend some serious money to keep some of the FA position players we have.

He means trading other than Wieters, Chen, Norris, Davis I think. Because after the season starts to trade any of them midseason with the possible exception of Norris makes little sense. The pick would be the best value compensation. Though you do take the risk of continued health that way I guess.

You also have to take into consideration the extra bonus money it would take to sign all those picks, and do you want to start a complete rebuild or still try to compete while Jones, Machado, and Hardy are still around. There's no way to predict who will be available as compensation, but I would think that a contending team whose catcher goes down could fork up a lot for Wieters, just as the O's gave up a lot for Andrew Miller.

If the team is not contending at the break, I expect we will trade some of the pending free agents for near-ready prospects and MLB players who can be penciled in for 2016.

Perhaps. But I do not expect this team to be out of it at the break. I am not saying we are going to win the division, but I certainly don't see any team being so much better than us that we would be 10+ games back in July.

Personally' date=' I am also giving QO's to the following players to get the most draft picks: Davis, Wieters, Chen, Norris and Oday. If they take it, I'll take them back. No one ever has, so at least we can hurt their market and our chance to resign them.[/quote']

Not to O'Day no way. The rest you do.

Personally' date=' I am also giving QO's to the following players to get the most draft picks: Davis, Wieters, Chen, Norris and Oday. If they take it, I'll take them back. No one ever has, so at least we can hurt their market and our chance to resign them.[/quote']

I don't think you can pay O'Day 16 million. Despite the fact that no player has ever accepted a qualifying offer.

You also have to take into consideration the extra bonus money it would take to sign all those picks, and do you want to start a complete rebuild or still try to compete while Jones, Machado, and Hardy are still around. There's no way to predict who will be available as compensation, but I would think that a contending team whose catcher goes down could fork up a lot for Wieters, just as the O's gave up a lot for Andrew Miller.

I don't think Boston thought they could give Andrew Miller a qualifying offer. I do not consider Eduardo much more likely than a supplemental first round. Do you?

You are willing to pay O'Day ~15 million?

That will be more then he has made in his first eight years combined.

If Oday pitches lights out.

If Angelos continues to allow the payroll to rise as it has been each year.

Yes, I would offer it and if he takes it, they say there is no such thing as a bad one year contract.

90 million seems like a place the Angelos family would feel comfortable with a reasonable product on the field.

The team should do well this year. As long as attendance holds up and increases a little I think the O's ownership increases payroll some for 2016. It when the team stops winning that I expect the payroll to be rolled back a little. Maybe in 2017.

I don't think DD is going anywhere. I just can't see PA allowing him to go to a division rival. He would promote him and increase his pay before he would allow that to happen IMO.

If Oday is as good this season as he has been for the last two years' date=' how much will someone else pay him to close?[/quote']

Nobody will want him to close. He had issues at the end of the year vs LHB again and he pitches to contact. He might get $15m over a multi year deal but not one year.

Archived