Set up perfectly for a new G.M.?

Bahama O's Fan

The team should do well this year. As long as attendance holds up and increases a little I think the O's ownership increases payroll some for 2016. It when the team stops winning that I expect the payroll to be rolled back a little. Maybe in 2017.

I don't think DD is going anywhere. I just can't see PA allowing him to go to a division rival. He would promote him and increase his pay before he would allow that to happen IMO.

I believe that the payroll will be increased quite a bit in 2016. From all reports, there are more season ticket holders now than in the last decade or so. If the team competes this season, then I would expect more walk-ups etc. And then if we make the playoffs you can guarantee that the O's would get a lot of people renewing plans/placing deposits in order to get tickets.

This is an exciting time for Orioles baseball! Hopefully we can make the correct moves this offseason so that we can be competitive for years to come.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is market value for Wieters and Davis?

The starting point on Wieters is 5/85M (McCann's contract)

I have no idea what Davis's market value is.

Not sure. Was more making the point that not only do the players have to make it clear to Boras that they wish to stay but that the O's will have to step up and be willing to pay.

To give a recent example I think the Tigers made a fair market offer to Max last spring.

I think if we want to extend Davis and/or Wieters' date=' we need to do it before the season gets to far. Buy low.[/quote']

You have got to evaluate where they're at before extending. Wieters could be at 1B/DH the rest of his career. Davis could be a .700 OPS guy from now on.

You have got to evaluate where they're at before extending. Wieters could be at 1B/DH the rest of his career. Davis could be a .700 OPS guy from now on.

It depends on price and your appetite for risk (for both the team and the player). If Wieters proves he's healthy, he could be looking at 6/$100 mm. So, if you could sign him now at 5/$60 mm, I think you'd pull the trigger, despite the risk that Wieters might not return to defensive form at C. At 5/$75 mm, maybe you don't.

That said, the O's are a risk adverse team. I'd be very surprised if they reached a deal with Wieters or Davis, and nothing Dan has said suggests otherwise.

It's a risk you take. It's good to buy low. If you wait and see if Davis and Wieters bounces back, you will not be able to inform them. This is where you trust your coaches. If Buck thinks last year was a fluke and they will be great, then you try to sign them. If not, then you forget it and let the go.

Archived