Childs Walker BaltSun: How Much is Dan Worth?

weams

I would think a top 5 GM would be worth way more than any player. For example Felix Hernandez. Great pitcher but the Mariners have been pretty awful during his career. And you are only getting value for the first four years and then their salary sky rockets. Even if you have a future Hall of Famer in his prime you are getting 10 WAR a season at most. I would say DD has been worth a lot more than that to the ORioles each year. Pearce and Cruz were over 10 WAR combined last season and the Os paid less than 9 million for them. I never understood why players made so much more than GMs and Managers. Truly a market inefficiency.

Put the shoe on the other foot and I wonder how many people here would be willing to give up Bundy for a suit.

I have not see or heard of any Blue Jay fans thinking that it is a good idea.

I have not see or heard of any Blue Jay baseball people thinking that it is a good idea.

This is a owner type who appears to be pretty clueless that thinks it is a good idea.

It appears only two employers want him and the Orioles hold all the cards here. He is worth what Angelos wants for him and the Blue Jays are willing to part with. Everything else is irrelevant.

This. Beyond all the other talk about various resolutions for this situation, at its core, it's only about this. If Toronto doesn't pay up (as in, through the nose), we'll keep DD. Whether we feel he can still run the team or if he gets some sort or paper title and gets sidelined comes later.

All this talk of he's not worth more than a single prospect... he's worth whatever we can bleed out of Toronto, or they don't get him. It's that simple.

Put the shoe on the other foot and I wonder how many people here would be willing to give up Bundy for a suit.

Dylan Bundy had a lot of success in the minors and is farther along from TJ surgery. Not that comparable. But if we were out of the playoffs for 23 years I would be willing to trade him for proven GM. Say Beane.

I don't disagree with you about Duquette being important. But that doesn't change the fact that GMs have low market value... look at Theo Epstein, he led the Red Sox to their first World Series is like 80 years and the Red Sox got a fringe AAA reliever for him.

Just because we believe he's done a lot for us doesn't mean other teams would be willing to pay a super high price for him, and as long as that mindset persists GMs will not be valued highly by the league.

It's simple and it's obvious. It's easier to sell a star player to your casual fan base than a GM. People pay money for tickets and concessions to come out and see a great player, they don't pay anything to see a GM work the phone and strategize.

No GM has ever been part of a teams marketing strategy or branding. Ever seen Billy Beane on a tshirt? That's why GM's don't have a big "market value" because they don't, on the surface, drive any revenue.

And you're right, other teams don't pay a high price. Even though the Jays won't pay a hefty price for DD, they sure have gone after him in a major way and have a significant hard on for him. IMO, seems pretty crappy that they get a guy who can get their franchise on track and we get a prospect or something.

It's simple and it's obvious. It's easier to sell a star player to your casual fan base than a GM. People pay money for tickets and concessions to come out and see a great player, they don't pay anything to see a GM work the phone and strategize.

No GM has ever been part of a teams marketing strategy or branding. Ever seen Billy Beane on a tshirt? That's why GM's don't have a big "market value" because they don't, on the surface, drive any revenue.

And you're right, other teams don't pay a high price. Even though the Jays won't pay a hefty price for DD, they sure have gone after him in a major way and have a significant hard on for him. IMO, seems pretty crappy that they get a guy who can get their franchise on track and we get a prospect or something.

https://www.google.com/search?q=billy+beane+tshirt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=billy+beane+tshirt&tbm=shop

People don't pay a high price to see players. Example Ovechkin and the Capitals. He put a ton of points is first two and half seasons. He was one of the top 2 stars in NHL. No one was going to Capitals games. They would announce 10000 in attendance but it was more like 3000. You couldn't give their tickets away. The Capitals then hire Bruce Bodreau as coach and the team starts winning. The team starts selling out every ga,e. They keep jacking up prices and still sell out.

Archived