An Upgrade to be Had?

weams

Certainly intriguing, but BB-ref has him as a FA in 2017 (see below). Also, I'm not ready to give up on Schoop at this point. I think an improvement to .235/.280/.425/.705 isn't out there to expect at the least. With his defense, I don't see a reason to bring in a FA at likely 20X the price ($500K vs. ~$10M AAV).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/walkene01.shtml

Also, for those ready to give up on Schoop, he is entering his age 23 season in 2015. In his age 22 season he OPS'd a lowly .598, but was worth 1.5 rWAR, largely due to his defensive prowess at 2B (this is dragged down some by bad 3B defensive performance). Neil Walker debuted in his age 23 season and OPS'd .497 in 40 PA. SSS I know, but it's somewhat illustrative that it's WAY too early to write him off as "this is what he is" at the plate.

Certainly intriguing, but BB-ref has him as a FA in 2017 (see below). Also, I'm not ready to give up on Schoop at this point. I think an improvement to .235/.280/.425/.705 isn't out there to expect at the least. With his defense, I don't see a reason to bring in a FA at likely 20X the price ($500K vs. ~$10M AAV).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/walkene01.shtml

It appears that you are right.

Walker is under team control for 2015 and 2016 via arbitration, but he’s due for a raise to over $8 million and is coming off a career-year in which he hit .271 with 23 homers and an .809 OPS in 137 games at age 28.

Sheesh. I don't get this mind set of trying to upgrade at 2B. Schoop's a baby who's already one of the top defensive second basemen in the game. As for his bat -- look at what Bobby Grich had done at the major league level by his age 22 season. I think we have something special in Schoop, and if we don't blow it through stupidity and impatience we could have something special for the next ten years.

Archived