Poll: Duquette to the Blue Jays. Is it over? (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

Flacco Machado

Is it over?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is it over?

The difference is that the O's didn't want Dan to leave in the first place. If he had publicly said he was happy with the O's and wanted to stay right from the start, this whole thing could have been avoided. His public silence encouraged the Jays to pursue this. In private, I'm sure he was anything but silent to them.

No. Ken Williams wanted the job, too. Williams went so far as to say he considered quitting the White Sox. I think only Reinsdorf's friendship with Beeston caused that tampering situation to be shut down so soon.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He wanted the job but Reinsdorf convinced him to let it go.

I think there are differing opinions on that. Let it suffice that Beeston had been called and Toronto threatened before the press got any wind of the tampering. We do know that much.

He wanted the job but Reinsdorf convinced him to let it go.
Nothing to figure out. The Chicago story died and the Baltimore story didn't. Why? Because they were convinced by Williams and Reinsdorf that they could not get Williams. Williams did not encourage them in any way.

You think the Jays went through all this trouble if they didn't get a sense from Duquette that he wanted this position if he could get it. Williams was convinced by Reinsdorf to let it go and he did.

Angelos didn't make that clear to everyone a month ago? The Jays dropped it because of their personal relationship with Reinsdorf which they didn't have with Angelos. I see you didn't take note of what Williams said at the time.

I don't know if the pursuit of DD is over today, but I believe it will be over by the end of the week, and end as I expected all along. I expect DD to be present at FanFest and, as I said in the monster thread, to make a statement along the following lines:

"I want to apologize to all the fans for how long it's taken to resolve this situation. I received an inappropriate solicitation for the Toronto CEO position, before proper contacts had been made with the Orioles' President. Despite the inappropriateness of the contact, I'd be lying if I said that I was not interested in attaining a CEO position, the ultimate career goal for all of us in the sports General Management business. Thus, I asked Mr. Angelos if he wouldn't, as a personal favor to me, consider the possibility of allowing me to interview for the Toronto position in exchange for suitable compensation. I take the very high standard he set for suitable compensation as a genuine expression of his appreciation for the work I've done for the Orioles, and I'm as grateful for that incredible support as I am for his openness to consider the possibility. Now that the situation is resolved, I am committed to continue doing my utmost to keep the Orioles in a strong competitive position throughout my tenure in Baltimore, and to build a perennial post-season contender. I'm eager to get back to work without the distraction this entire situation has created."

Why would he make such a statement? Because he really would have no reasonable alternative. The part about the approach being inappropriate will burn bridges between Dan and Ed Rogers (but who knows how long Ed Rogers will be allowed to hold a role with the Blue Jays), but will be in the statement because PA will want it there. It will also allow Dan to say, in an indirect way, that it was the Blue Jays who messed this whole thing up. Fans forgiving Dan will be contingent upon the O's continuing to get to the post-season. And Dan's future in MLB, after his current contract expires, will be contingent upon how well he does the job here for the next 4 years.

Haha. Real clear! LOL That's why we are listening to offers for our GM in late January. I guess the Jays didn't get the message. You think it's because Angelos or Duquette were saying something different behind closed doors?
I guess you don't want to address the lack of a clear public statement from Williams that he wasn't interested in the job. LOL yourself, particularly when you think Angelos has the same relationship with Chicago that Toronto has.

Anyone hear anything like that from Duquette? That was on December 8. Wanna know why the Jays stopped pursuing Kenny Williams but didn't stop pursuing Dan Duquette. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Maybe Peter did not threaten bodily harm the same way. I think if we knew all the Chicago facts, that there would be an interesting thread to write there. I bet Kenny WIlliams would take the job today if he were able. And he is at a level above Dan.

I don't know what the bodily harm remark is referring to. All we know is what we've seen quoted by the participants. No doubt, that Kenny Williams was interested in the job and probably would take it. That's not the point anyone was making. Reinsdorf told Williams that now was not the time and that he wouldn't let Williams interview for the job. Williams said he was okay with that and would abide by that, publicly. Angelos stated publicly that he would not let his GM go, period. Our GM never addressed the situation in any kind of open manner.

The White Sox issue was over, and Kenny knew what the deal was before it was broken in the press. He said he was not happy, that he almost quit, but that it was historical. Dan as afforded no such luxury.

DD could have ended this a long time time ago by saying he was dedicated to the Orioles. This isn't over. He is damaged goods now. The Blue Jays really did their damage here. Frustrating. Meanwhile, our offseason is still incomplete in most fan's eyes.

DD could have ended this a long time time ago by saying he was dedicated to the Orioles. This isn't over. He is damaged goods now. The Blue Jays really did their damage here. Frustrating. Meanwhile, our offseason is still incomplete in most fan's eyes.

Do you know that he was permitted to say that? I think that none of us know how Angelos intends to be compensated for the Blue Jays tampering. He may never be permitted to speak to you on the subject as you wish.

Has Rizzo made a statement? Is he permitted to interview?

Why try to put words in my mouth? I didn't say that Angelos had the same relationship with Toronto that Reinsdorf does. Actually, it's a relationship with Paul Beeston.

Williams public statements are the ones where he admits that he was contacted by Toronto and that Reinsdorf basically wouldn't let him interview. See anything like that from Duquette?

You mean like the ones where he said he was under contract and was there at the Winter Meetings to represent the Orioles? When did Williams come out and say he had no interest in the Toronto job like some want Dan to do?
Thanks for not answering a direct question once again. Very evasive lately.
The irony is I can make the same statement about you that you made about Weams.

Duquette didn't say anything comparable to that. He said he had a contract and would honor it. He said he would do his job. Williams basically said it was over. Duquette has never said any such thing. If you can't see the difference then there's no sense going any further. If it hasn't sunk in yet, it never will.
You ignore that Kubiak changed his mind, and went on a tangent about what the Ravens could/ couldn't do instead. "The difference is that the O's didn't want Dan to leave in the first place." The Ravens wanted Kubiak to leave? I'll ask again, "how would you view Dan if he did the same thing?"

As to Williams, "A non story at this point" was all he said until Williams' owner let him know the legal ramifications of breaking a contract. After that, Williams cried, "uncle." Do you think he would have had a supposed change of heart otherwise? At the risk of repeating myself, it was never reported Duquette wanted to resign as did Williams. That's a lot worse than silence. If you disagree with that, we're indeed done.

Duquette never accepted that he wouldn't get it which is exactly why this has dragged on for over a month now. Are you trying to be dense or is it just coming naturally?
I guess we should overlook Williams wanted to resign but didn't because....
Addressing possible resignation from the Sox, Williams said he weighed his options at the time, including resigning. Potential contractual violations would likely be a part of any consideration.
I'll ask again, why else do you think he "accepted" staying in a lesser position in Chicago? Why did he walk away from a pay increase?

You keep making Dan the villain in this story,"his public silence encouraged the Jays to pursue this." That is total nonsense. Gee maybe if Dan would have said he accepted his boss' decision, Toronto would have stopped calling? I don't buy that, let alone rent that, for a second. Toronto stopped calling Chicago because Reinsdorf wasn't going to stab Beeston, his best friend in the game, in the back. PERIOD. It didn't have a damn thing to do with what Williams said publicly or behind the scenes. Not one.

With a temperament like yours, you must be from NJ.

I think it's over. Toronto would look so bad trying to go after DD again, especially with news that the talks were never really close. But apparently Toronto doesn't care if they look bad or not.

More interested in the relationships in the Warehouse right now, there's a lot that we'll never know. Does Angelos hold this against DD? Or does he shrug it off and let it slide, knowing that it's part of the game? How does this impact the relationship with Buck? All of these guys have been around the block, they know it's business. Maybe all of this was no big deal between all of them and we're making this a bigger deal than it is because we love the drama. Maybe the only awkward people at Fanfest will be the fans.

Archived