As things stand now, who do you think will win the AL East?

Frobby

As it stands now, who do you think will win the AL East?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. As it stands now, who do you think will win the AL East?

• Baltimore
    • Boston
    • New York
    • Tampa Bay
    • Toronto

This poll is closed to new votes

The Orioles will win this running away on this board.

Boston is probably the best team in the division on paper, but I think every team in the division except for New York can be expected to contend this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa or Toronto won the division either. Boston doesn't have a dominant pitcher in their rotation, but they added several number 3 starter types. Does that set up sound familiar? Their offense is clearly superior to our's, on paper at least. Most objective observers will have them winning the division.

I think it is close between Baltimore, Boston, and Toronto.

Boston has the most star power but right now I still pick the O's because I think we are the most well rounded team. It could easily sway towards one of the others though if Boston acquires an ace or if the Jays young starters stay healthy.

If you made me pick right now, I'm picking the Orioles. The magnititude of the losses are somewhat overblown.

Boston has proven that it can go worst to first, and Ramirez/Sandoval add a lot more certainty to their line-up, but there are plenty of questions about their pitching staff at this point, even with the additions they made.

Toronto made a couple flashy moves at the start of the off-season, but their pitching staff is thin in the rotation, and a bullpen that wasn't good last year hasn't been addressed (and they lost Janssen).

New York has more-or-less maintained the same team they had for the second half of 2014, and the cloud of Tanaka's elbow will make or break their year.

Tampa Bay is clearly rebuilding, but they have the pitching staff to hang around if things break right.

The Orioles will win this running away on this board.

Boston is probably the best team in the division on paper, but I think every team in the division except for New York can be expected to contend this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa or Toronto won the division either. Boston doesn't have a dominant pitcher in their rotation, but they added several number 3 starter types. Does that set up sound familiar? Their offense is clearly superior to our's, on paper at least. Most objective observers will have them winning the division.

I don't know what to make of Boston, given their performance the last three years. 69, 97, 71 wins. 734, 853, 634 runs scored. 806, 656, 715 runs allowed. They've been all over the map in every area. They've also had an awful lot of turnover, so you can't they their past stats give you much of a clue. I think I'll put it this way, I expect their offense to be much better, but I'm not sure their pitching is improved. Buckholz, Porcello, Masterson, Miley, Kelly is a pretty unreliable rotation, though not without potential.

I picked Baltimore because I cannot really say any team stands out above the others (at least amongst Toronto, Boston and Baltimore) and I'm an O's fan so I tie goes to Baltimore.

I don't have faith in NY or Tampa. I like Tampa's rotation well enough, but with Myers and Zobrist gone, I don't think the offense is there. NY could surprise, they have the talent if Beltran, McCann and company rebound and Tanaka's arm doesn't fall off, but I think they are a long shot.

To me, that leaves Boston, Toronto and Baltimore. Even with Cruz and Markakis gone, I think the offense is strong enough with Wieters and Machado returning. I also expect a season at least as strong as 2012 for Davis. As for the pitching, I don't view losing Miller as that big of a loss since he was only on the team for a couple months. His loss is more crucial to the playoffs, not to making it there in my mind. I think the O's have a solid rotation with the opportunity for Jimenez and Gausman to be improved.

On to the O's competition for my vote: Boston is improved, but how much? Sandoval is solid and will put up better numbers in Fenway, but is he really that good? A .739 OPS last year and .758 OPS in 2013. He's a solid bat and a good fielder given his size, but I don't see him making as big of a difference as his salary would indicate. As for HanRam, the issue is health. He's a good bat, when healthy, though his bat plays better at SS than in LF, but still helpful. Their biggest issue, however, is pitching. I like Porcello and Miley and company, but like the O's they lack a top of the rotation arm.

As for Toronto, the heart of the order is the best in the game (Encarnacion, Bautista and Donaldson), but the loss of Melky is significant and the rotation is still a question. Stroman and Hutchinson should improve, but I also expect aging to impact Buehrle and Dickey. The last spot has solid options in Sanchez, Norris, etc, but I still am unsure.

Archived