As things stand now, who do you think will win the AL East?

Frobby

As it stands now, who do you think will win the AL East?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. As it stands now, who do you think will win the AL East?

• Baltimore
    • Boston
    • New York
    • Tampa Bay
    • Toronto

This poll is closed to new votes

I think Sandoval and Ramirez are going to struggle with the transition and I think Boston's pitching is held together with a tenuous thread. Yankees do not have enough. Rays are last place team in the East. Jays are the Jays, they will find ways to not play well.

Jays are the Jays, they will find ways to not play well.

They always do, no matter what the season starts out like. Besides, they have taken a 30% hit on currency exchange which has all ready added 25 million to their payroll cost. They are now up against it again. Plus, Rogers Communication wants nothing to with this staff. They will set out new next year.

I'd actually like to see the Yankees sign James Shields to another bloated seven year contract. However, I don't expect it. I think they are starting to learn their lesson. BOS trading for Hamels or signing Shields is much more likely.

Boston has some high upside rookies (Ofers Mookie Betts and Rusney Castilo) that the projection systems seem to like. Xander Boegarts could also break out. Their offense could be lethal if things break right, although on the flip side Pedroia is coming off a so-so year and Ortiz has to slow down at some point.

Boston is supposed to improve like 25 games this year according to the metrics... I don't understand why. They're better but not that much better, even on paper. I guess Wade Miley is going to win 15 games then.

I'm still saying Baltimore, with both my head and heart. It should be closer than last year but the division is still mediocre.

Boston is supposed to improve like 25 games this year according to the metrics... I don't understand why. They're better but not that much better, even on paper. I guess Wade Miley is going to win 15 games then.

I'm still saying Baltimore, with both my head and heart. It should be closer than last year but the division is still mediocre.

They don't have three starters who will win 15. Combined.

I think it will be a much tighter race then last year.
I would definitely agree with this, though you never know how things will shake out with injuries. Nobody expected 2014 to be a runaway, either.

It would be a huge shock if anyone won the AL East by 12 games this year. That kind of margin is pretty unusual. AL East margin in recent years:

2014: Orioles, 12 games

2013: Red Sox, 5 games

2012: Yankees, 2 games

2011: Yankees, 6 games

2010: Rays, 1 game

2009: Yankees, 8 games

2008: Rays, 2 games

2007: Red Sox, 2 games

2006: Yankees, 10 games

2005: Yankees and Red Sox tied

2004: Yankees, 3 games

2003: Yankees, 6 games

2002: Yankees, 10 games

2001: Yankees, 13 games

It would be a huge shock if anyone won the AL East by 12 games this year. That kind of margin is pretty unusual. AL East margin in recent years:

2014: Orioles, 12 games

2013: Red Sox, 5 games

2012: Yankees, 2 games

2011: Yankees, 6 games

2010: Rays, 1 game

2009: Yankees, 8 games

2008: Rays, 2 games

2007: Red Sox, 2 games

2006: Yankees, 10 games

2005: Yankees and Red Sox tied

2004: Yankees, 3 games

2003: Yankees, 6 games

2002: Yankees, 10 games

2001: Yankees, 13 games

And that said, the AL East was the best division in baseball once again. Even with all the teams beating up on each other. Of course, Baltimore raised that percentage up greatly with their big season. Winning 96 is better than sneaking in with 89.

Archived