Sports Illustrated: Why Bud Selig Should Not Be in the HOF

weams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He shouldnt...he was a detriment to small market teams and it's still only the big market teams that win in the end. You don't see St. Louis rams or San Antonio spurs type markets win in baseball.

In fact, padres fans were furious after hearing the padres were going to call plaza at petco park "bud selig plaza" just to kiss his you know what for the all star game.

Good riddance. All he did was oversee big market dominance to point where people just stopped tuning in to the Red Sox/Yankees/giants crap

I still haven't forgiven him for cancelling the World Series. Especially because the CBA they finally agreed to the next spring was pretty darn close to what the players were asking for the year before. It wasn't worth killing the season.

If you are the commissioner of a sport, and you don't actually complete your season and name a champion... you have failed. Now if they had done that to force some sort of major concession from the players union that was good for the long term health of the game, that would be one thing. But they didn't. They accomplished very little.

He shouldnt...he was a detriment to small market teams and it's still only the big market teams that win in the end. You don't see St. Louis rams or San Antonio spurs type markets win in baseball.

In fact, padres fans were furious after hearing the padres were going to call plaza at petco park "bud selig plaza" just to kiss his you know what for the all star game.

Good riddance. All he did was oversee big market dominance to point where people just stopped tuning in to the Red Sox/Yankees/giants crap

Detriment!

[video=youtube;rmZbCwmOC6I]

Not sure that's the best example to bring up. Not saying you're wrong, but not doing much to help yourself with that one.

I think he was a pretty good commissioner myself, better than some of the other ones that have been put into the Hall of Fame. After the 1994 strike he presided over two decades of labor peace, grew the game globally, and made some good tweaks while resisting other changes that I now fear are coming (like a pitch clock, for instance, which I will definitely hate). I don't blame him for the steroids crisis, which was coming either way. And I'm not sure I agree that he presided over "big market dominance." During his tenure, 10 different franchises won world championships and every franchise save for the Blue Jays made the playoffs at least once.

Not sure that's the best example to bring up. Not saying you're wrong, but not doing much to help yourself with that one.

You don't think that's a mid size or smaller market? They won because nfl has a cap. Surprise team out of nowhere. Look at their history prior to that Super Bowl win.

Would you prefer Carolina hurricanes :)

You don't think that's a mid size or smaller market? They won because nfl has a cap. Surprise team out of nowhere. Look at their history prior to that Super Bowl win.

Would you prefer Carolina hurricanes :)

I believe he means that you are using the St. Louis Rams as an example when the Cardinals have won multiple WS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he means that you are using the St. Louis Rams as an example when the Cardinals have won multiple WS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the cards are really well run and they are kind of a big market in the Midwest.

Sometimes a market doesn't always translate across sports. For example in dc, the redskins were the most valuable nfl franchise for years while the wizards, capitals and nats weren't even top 10 in their respective leagues.

Anyway, my main point is selig never did squat to even the playing field. All the other sports have salary caps which gives everyone a chance to compete. In mlb, you can rule out 70% of the teams before the season starts and once in a while you get a team like the Rockies make a run

The fact that small to mid markets despise selig is the reason he doesn't even deserve to be considered.

Well the cards are really well run and they are kind of a big market in the Midwest.

Sometimes a market doesn't always translate across sports. For example in dc, the redskins were the most valuable nfl franchise for years while the wizards, capitals and nats weren't even top 10 in their respective leagues.

Anyway, my main point is selig never did squat to even the playing field. All the other sports have salary caps which gives everyone a chance to compete. In mlb, you can rule out 70% of the teams before the season starts and once in a while you get a team like the Rockies make a run

The fact that small to mid markets despise selig is the reason he doesn't even deserve to be considered.

And how would Selig have come up with a salary cap? He was up against the most powerful sports players union that has ever existed.

He cancelled an entire postseason and wasn't able to get the players to budge at all, not even an increase in free agent compensation. Let alone impose a salary cap.

I don't like Selig, but blaming him for the lack of a salary cap is like blaming someone because it's snowing. Totally out of his control. As long as the union is strong, and, unlike NFL players, MLB players have long careers and are willing to give up an entire season if necessary to prevent any kind of significant change to the system to limit their earning potential because one year out of a 10+ year career isnt' that much... baseball will NOT have a salary cap.

Archived