Bill Madden: I knew that AROD was using Steroids the whole time he was with the Yankees

weams

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could not write about it because he had no proof. Says he had very strong reason to suspect Mike Piazza and won't vote for him for HOF because of that.

On Brian Kenny's show.

I wonder if we'll start seeing more defamation lawsuits about this stuff at some point.I think Pujols threatened someone at some point with a lawsuit. I know the HOF doesn't carry any monetary value but I think a good lawyer could argue there is a loss of residual value/income from these types of accusations.

I wonder if we'll start seeing more defamation lawsuits about this stuff at some point.I think Pujols threatened someone at some point with a lawsuit. I know the HOF doesn't carry any monetary value but I think a good lawyer could argue there is a loss of residual value/income from these types of accusations.

Problem is, Piazza would have to deny steroid use under oath and submit himself to cross-examination on a whole variety of topics. Dumb comment by Madden anyway.

Could not write about it because he had no proof. Says he had very strong reason to suspect Mike Piazza and won't vote for him for HOF because of that.

On Brian Kenny's show.

He just expressed what every other baseball fan already have throughout the past 8 years.

Who didn't know "without" proof.

Here is the true insanity of his logic. He said this, and I'm paraphrasing. He wouldn't vote for piazza now due to strong suspicion. However, if it was his last year on the ballot, and still had a chance to get in, he would vote him in. He doesn't want to be the guy to keep him out of the hall on suspicion. He explained that by suggesting this.... If ten years pass, and still no scandal ( which he then compared to arod. He thought that arod only used those three times in Texas. We didn't know anything else. Then last year, we find out so much more) then he can accept him in. That is basically his logic. Seems insane?

Problem is, Piazza would have to deny steroid use under oath and submit himself to cross-examination on a whole variety of topics. Dumb comment by Madden anyway.

That is what made AROD finally admit to it this time. Under Oath. That is how they got Barry Bonds.

The problem is, Piazza would have to deny steroid use under oath, and submit himself to cross-examination on a whole variety of topics. Dumb comment by Madden anyway.
And wouldn't that be only half the battle. Wouldn't he have to prove malice, as well?

That is a good question, but I suspect that the answer is, "No," or at least, "Not necessarily."

If that were the case (that they would have to prove malice in order to successfully sue the defendant), then a reporter can be reckless, irresponsible, and damaging to one's reputation, but could always absolve himself of any civil/legal damages by falling back on, "Hey, I wasn't intending on hurting the guy."

It can get foggy when dealing with on-the-record vs. off-the-record information. Reporters often KNOW things that they can't report.

Hearing something whether its on or off the record is also very different than having proof. You can't know something off the record.

Hearing something whether its on or off the record is also very different than having proof. You can't know something off the record.

I know David Ortiz had Roid Rage one day. I could never prove it in court. He could plead that he was having a bad weekend.

Archived