Bill Madden: I knew that AROD was using Steroids the whole time he was with the Yankees

weams

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knowing something without proof isn't knowing something.

Yes, it is. If I see you injecting full-blown back-back-back-back gone home run juice directly into your brain, but don't take a picture, then I know you did it but don't have proof.

Oh, this is a good real-life example:

Sure you can.

A reporter might have concrete evidence, provided to him/her by someone who insists that the information is off the record. Or it might be as simple as a collection of evidence over a period of time. Keep in mind we're not talking about proving something in court.

An example......many moons ago, I covered high school sports for a newspaper. While investigating some possibly illegal transfers, I was shown information that absolutely proved that 7 players for one high school basketball team all "lived" in the same efficiency apartment. I KNEW they were cheating and this was proof. But my source didn't want to give the info unless it was off the record, so it didn't make the paper.

Why Not didn't have proof. The address information was shown to him off-the-record and he didn't have a copy and his source would not admit showing it and he'd be breaking his source's confidence if he named them. But he still knew. You can easily know without having proof.

The Piazza thing is different, because he just says he "suspects"... that's meaningless.

Oh, this is a good real-life example:

Why Not didn't have proof. The address information was shown to him off-the-record and he didn't have a copy and his source would not admit showing it and he'd be breaking his source's confidence if he named them. But he still knew. You can easily know without having proof.

The Piazza thing is different, because he just says he "suspects"... that's meaningless.

You're right, but it's really hard to tell what sort of nuanced information Madden had (about ARod and/or Piazza). I tend to give the reporter the benefit of the doubt. I assume he had something deeper than rumor about Piazza.

Archived