Hardball Times: So Teams Have Lots of New Data, Then What?

weams

http://www.hardballtimes.com/so-teams-have-lots-of-new-data.-then-what/

A team might have a handle on the best metrics and impeccable data and systems, but that still doesn't mean it will maximize its return from analytics. Somebody still has to do something with all the information. Data can't act on their own. This is where people come in, and they can make a huge difference when it comes to the advantage teams hope to achieve.

Was it one of the promoted interns?
No. Not at all.

ANALYTICS

Director, Baseball Analytics Sarah Gelles

Coordinator, Video Michael Silverman

Coordinator, Advance Scouting Ben Werthan

Sarah Gelles, Amherst graduate - Just like Dan Duquette

Can_of_Corn was on the right track, though. Gelles was an intern for the Pirates in 2010 under fellow Amherst grad Neil Huntington, who himself had been an intern for Dan Duquette when he was with the Expos. Gelles became Coordinator of Baseball Analytics for the Orioles in January 2012, shortly after Duquette was hired. She was promoted to Director of Baseball Analytics last August. So far as I know, this was a change of title but there was no Director of Baseball Analytics previously.

Can_of_Corn was on the right track, though. Gelles was an intern for the Pirates in 2010 under fellow Amherst grad Neil Huntington, who himself had been an intern for Dan Duquette when he was with the Expos. Gelles became Coordinator of Baseball Analytics for the Orioles in January 2012, shortly after Duquette was hired. She was promoted to Director of Baseball Analytics last August. So far as I know, this was a change of title but there was no Director of Baseball Analytics previously.

So there was an Amherst connection.

Amusing.

I had just mentioned it since Dan went there and I had recently read that three Amherst grads were GMs.

I would try and dig up old job postings to see what they wanted.

Sure to be a competitive field to find work in with less then ideal job security.

Got to be a more stable environment than my artisan nitroglycerin pogo delivery company. I mean, my friends' company.

Hipsters apparently do have a limit to what they will pay for and we just can't keep replacing our delivery guys with every order.

Archived