Hardball Times: So Teams Have Lots of New Data, Then What?

weams

Got to be a more stable environment than my artisan nitroglycerin pogo delivery company. I mean, my friends' company.

Hipsters apparently do have a limit to what they will pay for and we just can't keep replacing our delivery guys with every order.

You should have bid on that glitter delivery company when you had the chance.

Any idea what one studies to land a baseball analytics job? ...A friend wants to know.

Programming, statistics, and

Check out this related Hardball Times story

http://www.hardballtimes.com/digging-for-diamonds/

Gelles has become a regular judge at Gennaro?s competitions, and this time she brought Snyder with her, in part as an effort to see more teams present. Baltimore?s owners and executives, Gelles explained, have been supportive in recent years of adding young talent to their relatively small front office as ?a much cheaper way to get better.?

Multiple Orioles hires have participated in Diamond Dollars, and in those cases Gelles had a chance to briefly see those people in action during their case presentations. In at least one instance, Diamond Dollars served as evidence of an interest in and knowledge of baseball on the resume of an MBA recipient that was otherwise more general, as oppose to tailored to a career in baseball.

?It?s definitely a good way for us to [gauge talent],? Gelles said. ?[One person] didn?t have any baseball experience except for this, so I think it was helpful to see. We look for the most talented individuals.?

Archived