Travis Snider may affect who the 4th outfielder will be

wildcard

I am wondering what kind of player lefty Travis Snider will be. There are many questions.

1) Can Travis hit left handed pitching? His numbers seem to indicate that he has been held out of the lineup vs lefties. But when he has played against them he has done well. If he needs to platooned that could affect who Buck picks as the 4th outfielder. Maybe a righthanded hitter like Hassan is needed.

2) How strong is his fielding? Excluding his great over the fence catch that has been posted on the OH. I have read questions about his range. There is a question if it is as good as Markakis. And of course we know that Markakis' range was a cause for concern by many. So if a late inning defensive replacement is desired, then maybe Lough is the right 4th outfielder.

3) I have seen reports that his arm is good, bad and inconsistent. I don't really know how good or bad his arm will be for rightfield. Is Pearce as better rightfielder in terms of arm strength and accuracy? If so maybe Snider DHes.

4) How much does changing leagues bother Snider. This is something that is not known until it happens for the most part. It could limit his playing time overall and give opportunity to whoever steps forward.

I don't know enough to project how Snider will play. But I think how he plays could affect who the O's 4th outfielder will be in 2015.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think our starting OF is DeAza, Jones and Pearce. Young and Snider are going to be a DH platoon, with Snider seeing the field occassionally and Young only in an emergency. I like Lough as the 4th OF, as a defensive replacement for Pearce and maybe a once a week start. Is he the only other one you trust in CF should Jones need a break?

A few more thoughts:

5) Are they comfortable with De Aza as the back-up CF? If not, Lough has to be on the team.

6) Do they want Lough's speed off the bench for late in games?

7) Do they want to utilize Lough's defense as a late inning replacement for Pearce or Snider? Or do they see more value in the extra RH bat?

Tom Dakers

“He’s also turned himself into a really good defensive outfielder. When he first came up the feeling was that he’d end up a full time DH, but he gets good reads on balls hit to the outfield and has good speed, with a decent arm. He played some center field for us and didn’t look out of place.”

I see Snider spelling Pearce in RF and Young at DH against RHP, and being mostly held out against LHP. That's probably good for about 400-450 ABs. Snider has better OF metrics than Markakis did, and had more ground to cover in RF in Pittsburgh, with a similar scoreboard-type wall. I see no particular reason to think Pearce or Young are better defensively out there. Lough will have more range for sure, but range is more important in LF than RF at OPACY, and Lough probably doesn't have the type of arm you want in RF.

I see Snider spelling Pearce in RF and Young at DH against RHP, and being mostly held out against LHP. That's probably good for about 400-450 ABs. Snider has better OF metrics than Markakis did, and had more ground to cover in RF in Pittsburgh, with a similar scoreboard-type wall. I see no particular reason to think Pearce or Young are better defensively out there. Lough will have more range for sure, but range is more important in LF than RF at OPACY, and Lough probably doesn't have the type of arm you want in RF.

I would bet that Lough's arm is probably second on the Major League team right now, only behind Jones'.

Snider's range factor in right over the past three years are: 1.79, 1.48 and 1.08

Markakis' range factor in right over the past three years are 1.86, 2.06, and 2.08

Snider UZR in right are 2.6, 0.5 and -6.7

A don't trust any of these numbers. What they do is just raise questions for me.

While I see Lough in the 4th OF slot.

However, if he plays more like he did after the ASG, when he got rid of his concussion effects.

I see him playing more than once a week.

Granted, not a ton of games, after the ASG, but a significant improvement over his first half stats.

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=align: left]2nd Half[/TD]

[TD=align: right]49[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15[/TD]

[TD=align: right]64[/TD]

[TD=align: right]57[/TD]

[TD=align: right]13[/TD]

[TD=align: right]20[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]