The death of Moneyball???

Boy Howdy

I'm not sure why he didn't make it... unless it was his glove/arm?

He had a .268 batting average, .367 OBP and an .806 OPS in 1904 minor league at bats with 68 hr's. Looks like a pretty decent performance for a catcher.

Drungo... what's your theory?

Could it be that they just liked Suzuki better? He's four years younger and put up similar numbers.

I always wondered why the A's didn't give Brown a shot instead of trotting Jason Kendall out there the last three years. Seems like Brown have matched Kendall's numbers.

Brown could have landed a backup job someplace for a few years if he had stuck around....unless he's just terrible defensively.

I'm not sure why he didn't make it... unless it was his glove/arm?

He had a .268 batting average, .367 OBP and an .806 OPS in 1904 minor league at bats with 68 hr's. Looks like a pretty decent performance for a catcher.

Drungo... what's your theory?

There is no theory needed. He was terrible defensively. Unfortunately, one of the things missing in the money ball approach was defense, especially at catcher.

There is no theory needed. He was terrible defensively. Unfortunately, one of the things missing in the money ball approach was defense, especially at catcher.

One problem with this: Beane shifted his focus towards defense a lot in the last few years. They have had one of the best defensive teams in the league the past two or three seasons, if I'm not mistaken, which helped their pitching staff and helped them compete despite terrible offenses.

Moneyball is NOT about OBP. I cannot stress that enough. It is about taking advantage of undervalued skills and commodities. The last few years, defense has been undervalued, so Beane has used it to his advantage. OBP is no longer undervalued.

Brown probably could have stuck around if he switched to another position, but I guess he just had enough. Being semi-famous from the book, with the added pressure, probably didn't help matters.

Except of course for Nick Swisher and Joe Blanton. And Chad Bradford. And Kevin Youkolis...

I wouldn't put Swisher in the "Moneyball" philosophy. The book speaks to how both Beane with his stats-based approach and Oakland's traditional scouts both loved him. At the time he was being drafted, management was de-valuing their scouts input, but Swisher was the guy that both groups were targeting in that draft.

By the way, the greatest part of the book, was when a 3rd grade Bradford wrote that he wanted to play "shotestop" for the Baltimore Orioles when he grew up. I think the real reason Tejada was traded and their haven't been any upgrades from Hernandez is that they'll bring in the submariner to play short everyday.

Beane =overrated. Stats can only take you so far, its defense, timely hitting and pitching that wins along with chemistry.

I will take a guy who goes 1 for 4 but the 1 hit is a game winner or rally starter over a guy who goes 2 for 4 with the 2 hits meaningless and makes outs with the game on the line.

Beane =overrated. Stats can only take you so far, its defense, timely hitting and pitching that wins along with chemistry.

I will take a guy who goes 1 for 4 but the 1 hit is a game winner or rally starter over a guy who goes 2 for 4 with the 2 hits meaningless and makes outs with the game on the line.

What about the 99% of the time when the one hit doesn't come in those situations? Or that two hits gives you a better chance of having one be in those situations?

Or that you apparently broke a knee jerking it up into your desk without reading any posts in the thread?

If there were players that produced consistently in that manner, I would take that guy as well. But they don't exist.

Archived