Orioles trade Michael Ohlman to Cardinals

Can_of_corn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael Ohlman wasn't in my Orioles top 15 (listed here <a href="http://t.co/1CqJ0BuIHo">http://t.co/1CqJ0BuIHo</a>) because he's a poor receiver who didn't hit at all in 2014.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">February 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roch Kubatko

The Orioles selected Ohlman in the 11th round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft out of Lakewood Ranch (Fla.) High School. They most likely would have moved him to a new position if he remained in the organization.

The 40-man roster currently includes catchers Matt Wieters, Caleb Joseph and Steve Clevenger. The Orioles also will bring catchers J.P. Arencibia, Ryan Lavarnway and Brian Ward to camp.

Could he become the next Jason Werth? Good hitter, weak catcher, finally changed positions. As I understand, Werth refused to while with Orioles. I don't know what Ohlman thought of it.

Werth has a combined 802 OPS in the minors.

Ohlman has a 720.

Werth had his first cup of coffee at 23.

Ohlman put up a 627 OPS in AA at 23.

I don't think the two are that comparable.

I would like to see if Ohlman's offense would have bounced back with a switch to 1B or corner outfield. I wonder if the Cardinals keep him at catcher.

I know the organization had high hopes for the guy.

He never passed my own eye test, weak arm to 2nd, and just wasn't very impressive behind the plate, and actually at bat for that matter.

Hopefully, the change of scenery will allow him to refocus and progress up.

What hurts even more is when you consider the fact that mike trout was still on the board.

Mike Trout was on the board for a long time after the Hobgood. It's not like the Orioles would have selected Trout if they didn't select Hobgood. Zack Wheeler was taken the pick after Hobgood. I would have loved to have gotten him.

Archived