Jason Hanselman: Shifts and the 3 True Outcomes

weams

https://dockoftherays.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/shifting-away-from-old-player-skills/

Think Adam Dunn or another way would be to think of these types of players as possessing ?old player skills.? This is not an indictment on the method of production, but is an observation of the types of players that fit this mold. Typically, you?re talking about guys whose bats may have slowed so they have to become less focused on contact and more focused on picking out good pitches and then hitting the hell out of them. With the abundance of shifts in the game it stands to reason that players like this may be more adversely affected than players that rely more on putting the ball in play earlier in the count with perhaps less power production. So with that in mind I started down a Three True Outcomes (3TO) hole today

You are welcome. I liked it.

This is actually directly related to the Alvarez thread. This article is basically pointing out the trend away from 3TO players. That's Alvarez. He doesn't strike out much. He doesn't walk at all. He won't hit a lot of homers. What he does is put the bat on the ball and play great defense.

Man, a lot of things had to go right for KC to have the success they had. Were I a GM, I wouldn't overhaul my roster to try to emulate them. Without that pen, they don't get there, and without that stunning 8 game stretch in the playoffs, we wouldn't be talking about them.

They were 9th in runs and 4th in runs allowed.

The O's (with an opposite offensive philosophy) were 6th in runs and 3rd in runs allowed. There are many ways to get it done.

Ability to make contact might have been undervalued. Soon, it could be overvalued.

Archived