Reimold could make an impact if healthy

wildcard

Which pretty much 100% of the entire population is guilty of. Delmon's mistake is not doing it behind closed doors like the vast majority of everyone else.

Wait, what? You're saying that pretty much 100% of the entire population is guilty of hate speech? I don't want to know who you've been hanging out with.

Also, LOL at "Delmon's mistake is not doing it behind closed doors." No, his mistake was doing it at all, and also TACKLING A DUDE while doing it.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, what? You're saying that pretty much 100% of the entire population is guilty of hate speech? I don't want to know who you've been hanging out with.

Also, LOL at "Delmon's mistake is not doing it behind closed doors." No, his mistake was doing it at all, and also TACKLING A DUDE while doing it.

I guess if you define the term loosely enough...

I'm in my 40's, have I ever used a racial or homophobic slur? Sure.

Since I was 18? Not that I recall.

Have I ever used one in the presence of someone that belong to a protected group? No.

I'm fairly confident that me retelling inappropriate jokes when I was 14 or suggesting my friends liked other boys when I was 12 doesn't qualify me as practicing hate speech.

If you are saying that never in your entire life that you said something that would be construed as hate speech / politically incorrect, then I would call you a liar. Hate speech is pretty loosely tossed around, it covers a lot of ground. I'm fairly certain every person alive has made a comment, even to themselves, that they wouldn't make around a certain group or whatever.

If you are saying that never in your entire life that you said something that would be construed as hate speech / politically incorrect, then I would call you a liar. Hate speech is pretty loosely tossed around, it covers a lot of ground. I'm fairly certain every person alive has made a comment, even to themselves, that they wouldn't make around a certain group or whatever.

The post I quoted was in reference to hate speech and political incorrect behavior, not what he did physically to the ump, so the LOL is on your reading comprehension?

I guess if you define the term loosely enough...

I'm in my 40's, have I ever used a racial or homophobic slur? Sure.

Since I was 18? Not that I recall.

Have I ever used one in the presence of someone that belong to a protected group? No.

I'm fairly confident that me retelling inappropriate jokes when I was 14 or suggesting my friends liked other boys when I was 12 doesn't qualify me as practicing hate speech.

Because you didn't make the comment in front of a protected group doesn't nullify it. If a tree falls down in the woods does it make a sound?

I wasn't thrilled with Delmon's past when we acquired him, but he has done nothing since joining the Orioles but work hard and perform well. Hopefully he learned something from his past episodes. At this point I'm not factoring in his past at all in considering whether I want him on the team. If he has some kind of incident, my attitude could change in the future, but for now I'm 100% behind him.

I wasn't thrilled with Delmon's past when we acquired him, but he has done nothing since joining the Orioles but work hard and perform well. Hopefully he learned something from his past episodes. At this point I'm not factoring in his past at all in considering whether I want him on the team. If he has some kind of incident, my attitude could change in the future, but for now I'm 100% behind him.

Adam Jones likes him.

Then a man should know when it is inappropriate to be intoxicated.

For the record I only brought all this back up because I was asked specifically about it. Nothing has changed since last season.

That seems to be something that people learn at different ages. You caught on quicker than Delmon, that's all.

That seems to be something that people learn at different ages. You caught on quicker than Delmon, that's all.

I don't make those types of comments when I'm intoxicated. Folks like Mel Gibson make those types of comments when intoxicated.

I do however get even louder and more obnoxious so I shouldn't be impaired in public.

I don't make those types of comments when I'm intoxicated. Folks like Mel Gibson make those types of comments when intoxicated.

I do however get even louder and more obnoxious so I shouldn't be impaired in public.

And the more people are pampered at a young age, the more they tend to believe that the rules don't apply to them. I'm not excusing Delmon or commending you, I'm just saying that you are different people and figure things out at your own speed.

Politically incorrect? I dunno, maybe. Hate speech? Absolutely not.

As Can of Corn stated, hate speech is not the same thing as politically incorrect speech. I think of hate speech as using racial epithets/slurs, etc., as Delmon Young did in the incident he was arrested for.

Archived