Reimold could make an impact if healthy

wildcard

I think it has more to do with Lough than with Reimold. Lough has played 132 innings in LF this year and only 3 in RF (and last year it was 398 in LF and 15 in RF). I think Buck just prefers having Lough in LF when he comes in, and he'd rather put the "lesser" defender in RF, be it Reimold/Young/etc.

It also might have to do with where the O's are in the batting order. When Buck took out Young last night, he had made the last out of the previous inning. I think if Reimold had made the last out of the previous inning and Young was due up in the next inning, Young would've stayed in and Reimold would've been taken out for Lough.

I agree, but I also think Nolan is the better fielder. Young and his little choppy steps does not catch that leadoff pop fly in the 9th last night...in my opinion of course. Nor would he have come close to any of the long running catches Nolan made last night in left. Watching on TV, those plays look like lazy fly balls. But being in the stadium, it was amazing how far Nolan had to run for some of them, especially the two in the first inning and the one in the 9th, as well as Pedroia's warning track shot later in the game.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, but I also think Nolan is the better fielder. Young and his little choppy steps does not catch that leadoff pop fly in the 9th last night...in my opinion of course. Nor would he have come close to any of the long running catches Nolan made last night in left. Watching on TV, those plays look like lazy fly balls. But being in the stadium, it was amazing how far Nolan had to run for some of them, especially the two in the first inning and the one in the 9th, as well as Pedroia's warning track shot later in the game.

When Nolan caught that leadoff pop fly in the 9th, I couldn't help but think back to the times when Nick would make such a play, but it would look like he'd just made the greatest catch ever, and then the announcers would give him the Gold Glove treatment.

Showalter was most impressed by Nolan Reimold, playing his second game since the Orioles purchased his contract. He homered, walked and made several fine running catches in left and right field among his eight putouts.

"I was thinking tonight watching Nolan, this is a guy who basically broke his neck diving in the stands for his team, his family, his city, whatever," Showalter said. "Going after some of the balls tonight, it just reminds me what the separator is of these guys at this level. Kind of put yourself in his shoes. That's pretty impressive. I remember the first time I saw him run a ball down over in Sarasota in that corner, kind of slaps you back. Pretty impressive. He played really well tonight defensively on both sides of the field.

"You guys saw him, the best, before I got here and I heard so many people talk about it. It seems like he could never... He had a hammy, he had an Achilles I believe it was. It seemed like it was always something. And just like I tell the guys all the time, if you just stay true and keep grinding, the baseball gods are pretty good to you, and that's what Nolan's done through thick and thin.

"A lot of guys would have given in, but to have a good season you've got to have things like that happen. I know everybody feels good for Nolan. It's been a long journey for him."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/06/wrapping-up-a-6-5-win-1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Jeeze, that put a lump in my throat. Buck has a great way of putting things in perspective.

I said something very similar more than 2 months ago, when Reimold was not chosen to be part of either the 25-man roster coming north with the major league team, or even part of the 40-man roster:

APRIL 5th

o

Chin up, Nolan. You'll get your chance.

The Orioles have faith in you. They gave you minor league contract, a spring training invite, and you were in the lineup with the regulars a lot of the time.

Patience is a virtue. :cool:

Wow, it's almost exactly the same - except for the words

I don't know if that is a compliment, or a sarcastic jab.

The sentiments of what I said back in April and what Showalter said are/were essentially the same.

“I don't know if I should say it, but I went against my agent's advice and even my family's advice. I went with my gut and came back here. Glad I made it back up here, and hopefully things continue going well the rest of the year.”

?I don't know if I should say it, but I went against my agent's advice and even my family's advice. I went with my gut and came back here. Glad I made it back up here, and hopefully things continue going well the rest of the year.?

That's a great quote, Mike.

A player that saw/sees the forest for the trees, and actually behaves as though he has a mind of his own. :cool:

I remember when Jeremy Guthrie was periodically asked if he felt snake-bitten about the fact that he often got little offensive support when he pitched well, and he said that he was playing baseball for a living, and getting millions of dollars to do so (in other words, he was as happy as a pig in ****, and very fortunate in life overall compared to most people.)

• 2 months later...
o

Nolan Reimold in his last 7 games:

3 Home Runs

7 RBI's

6 Walks

9 Runs Scored

.360 Batting Average

.500 On-Base Percentage

.720 Slugging Percentage

https://twitter.com/masnRoch?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Reimold Trying to Make Most of Opportunity with Orioles

(By Dan Connolly)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-notes-0914-20150913-story.html

• 2 weeks later...

o

Reimold had a 2-out, RBI-single in the 2nd inning just now against the Nationals.

This guys has sure had his ups and downs (and ups again) so far this season.

He started out not even on the 40-man roster when the season opened, then he was added to the 40-man roster and promoted to the Orioles in June, then he was DFA'd in August, nobody claimed him and so he went to play for the AAA-Tides, then he was added to the 40-man roster again and brought back up to the Orioles in September, where has found yet another new lease on life in the lead-off spot.

I believe I wrote a draft report for the OH for Reimold and I'm pretty sure I saw him play for Aberdeen against Staten Island. That was a long time ago. I've always been a fan. He has a 2.6 WAR season in his first year in the majors at 25 and the future seemed bright, but he's only received over 150 PAs once since that first year in 2009.

I expect there may still a place on the 2016 Os for a flier on Reimold who has a .335 obp and a negative .1 WAR production at the right price.

He had the tools and skillset to be so much more than what he actually produced.

I believe I wrote a draft report for the OH for Reimold and I'm pretty sure I saw him play for Aberdeen against Staten Island. That was a long time ago. I've always been a fan. He has a 2.6 WAR season in his first year in the majors at 25 and the future seemed bright, but he's only received over 150 PAs once since that first year in 2009.

I expect there may still a place on the 2016 Os for a flier on Reimold who has a .335 obp and a negative .1 WAR production at the right price.

He had the tools and skillset to be so much more than what he actually produced.

Baseball reference has his WAR at 0, which isn't much difference, other than getting rid of the negative.

Is his WAR reduced because he has only played in 51 games?

He has been hammering LHP, and has an OPS over .800.

If they can find a CoF to play the other corner, I am okay with Reimold in a platoon role.

Baseball reference has his WAR at 0, which isn't much difference, other than getting rid of the negative.

Is his WAR reduced because he has only played in 51 games?

He has been hammering LHP, and has an OPS over .800.

If they can find a CoF to play the other corner, I am okay with Reimold in a platoon role.

WAR is a counting stat, but 0 WAR extrapolated out to a full season is still 0 WAR. He has been about league average on offense (99 wRC+) and below average defensively according to DRS.

Archived