Reimold could make an impact if healthy

wildcard

I've been thrilled with his performance and surprised. I didn't think he had anything left in the tank. I think Buck is doing a great job of getting him the right amount of playing time.

I, too, thought reimold was done but he has had a solid resurgence and is a great part time player to have around.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Nolan?s highest and best use would be as a part-time (but more than platoon) player, if he could stay . . . well, you know, and if we could find a productive LH-hitting OF to pair him with. It looks like we finally found that LH guy.

Nolan?s work so far this year reminds me of another RH-hitting Orioles left fielder who played less than full-time: Gary Roenicke of the highly effective Roenicke/Lowenstein platoon. In his best year, 1979, Gary Roenicke put up .261/.378/.508, for an OPS of .886 (compared to Nolan?s .885 so far this year), and had an OPS+ of 141 (compared to Nolan?s 135 this year). According to MLB, Roenicke was about the same size as Nolan. He was pretty fast and a better OF than Nolan, but Reimold is probably speedier. Like Nolan, Gary was used as a late-inning defensive replacement. Roenicke walked a fair amount (61 BB in 1979, third highest on the team). There are differences. Roenicke was 24 in 1979, and Nolan is 32 with a long history of . . . well, you still know. In 1979, Roenicke played more (115 games in 1979, though he started just 78). With more position players available, and because he was Earl, Earl pinch-hit for Roenicke/Lowenstein more often and earlier in games than today?s managers. The challenge is for NOlamn (besides you know) is to stay sharp and produce when playing a few times a week. So far, he's meeting that challenge.

Archived