For all the people who said they would reserve their judgement...

millertime

P.s. If money is really this tight, then it makes some of the moves like keeping Matusz and signing Ubaldo look even dumber. The arbitration raises were predictable increases in salary.

If they would have signed Cruz or Markakis, then Matusz and another contract (my bet is Norris) would have been moved.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A fair question for sure from the OP. I like our team but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive going into the year. There are a ton of questions, especially regarding the offense. Now this doesn't mean I think that we should have exceeded our payroll limits or traded our top prospects. Our leadership team has done a good job, once again, of assembling a lot of depth. They have remained true to their model of knowing who we are. It just means the fans have to live with the uncertainty of being a small market club.

I look at it as... We either led or were top 2 or 3 in HRs last year. (Didn't look it up.) We lost some in Cruz, but even re-signing him we weren't going to get his production again. If we drop to say 8th in HRs we're still in the top third. A good offense. Defense is great. Pitching is still very good overall.

Minor changes to an ALCS team. I think we're right in it at the end of the year.

With his neck uncertainty, do you think Nick would have taken the 15.3?

Plus his 2 million buyout. Can't take that chance just for a pick.

And a lot of people dislike tendering Matusz. I'm not crazy about having him either... but he's only about 2 million overpaid. Almost nothing, even to the thrifty Orioles.

I'm glad that the Os didn't go after some of the expensive, overpaid FAs. I am disappointed that Cruz wasn't resigned, and, yes, Markakis (or at least get the draft pick for him). However, I think that getting Travis Snider will turn out to be one of the best moves ever made.

Plus his 2 million buyout. Can't take that chance just for a pick.

And a lot of people dislike tendering Matusz. I'm not crazy about having him either... but he's only about 2 million overpaid. Almost nothing, even to the thrifty Orioles.

For me, resigning Matusz is more about the roster spot than the money, especially when we have six starters and two rule V guys.

I'm good with the overall offseason approach. I don't expect to win 96 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if we score more runs this season. Not at all. I do believe we'll be a playoff contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look at it as... We either led or were top 2 or 3 in HRs last year. (Didn't look it up.) We lost some in Cruz, but even re-signing him we weren't going to get his production again. If we drop to say 8th in HRs we're still in the top third. A good offense. Defense is great. Pitching is still very good overall.

Minor changes to an ALCS team. I think we're right in it at the end of the year.

The Orioles led the Majors in home runs by a sizable margin. Among non-Colorado Rockies teams, the Blue Jays were second and hit 34 fewer homers than the Orioles. Even subtracting Cruz and Markakis' home runs, whoever takes their 1400 combined plate appearances would only need 20 homers total to keep pace with the Blue Jays. That would require a home run rate poorer than David Lough's.

I'm glad that the Os didn't go after some of the expensive, overpaid FAs. I am disappointed that Cruz wasn't resigned, and, yes, Markakis (or at least get the draft pick for him). However, I think that getting Travis Snider will turn out to be one of the best moves ever made.

I'm quite happy with Snider over Nick for many reasons.

1. What we would have had to pay him.

2. His production the last several years is not worth what he got.

3. Surgery on top of that limited production.

Snider's potential for cheap is better that Nick's potential for big $$$.

The Orioles led the Majors in home runs by a sizable margin. Among non-Colorado Rockies teams, the Blue Jays were second and hit 34 fewer homers than the Orioles. Even subtracting Cruz and Markakis' home runs, whoever takes their 1400 combined plate appearances would only need 20 homers total to keep pace with the Blue Jays. That would require a home run rate poorer than David Lough's.

Snider might easily fill that void. I'm pretty excited about him.

For me, resigning Matusz is more about the roster spot than the money, especially when we have six starters and two rule V guys.

I'm good with the overall offseason approach. I don't expect to win 96 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if we score more runs this season. Not at all. I do believe we'll be a playoff contender.

The roster spot hurts. Especially like you say with the Rule 5 guys. But Matusz is not worthless. His numbers aren't as bad as people think.

There are really no moves that we could have made that wouldn't have been (a) making moves to make moves or (b) big overpays/unnecessarily long commitments going forward.

The deal Shields got was surprisingly reasonable (to me at least.) But it still would have been a hardship to our budget. Big Peter would have had to give a special dispensation now or at the trade deadline.

The deal Shields got was surprisingly reasonable (to me at least.) But it still would have been a hardship to our budget. Big Peter would have had to give a special dispensation now or at the trade deadline.

The only thing is that there is not a clear bump from the rotation that would then be at 7. Depends on what value was there for at least one trade of our current arms.

For all the people who said they would reserve their judgement ...

I'll do what I usually do ...... reserve judgement until about late-August, or early-September.

I'll predict the wins total and the order in which the Orioles finish in the division when Tony S. starts that thread in late March.

But as far as judgement goes, I've seen too many "sure things" miss the mark by a mile in my lifetime as a sports fan, so I will wait until at least 120 or 130 games have been played to judge them (the team and the general manager.)

Archived