Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Aaron Crow

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

4. Aaron Crow {College RHSP } (21). Missouri right-hander Aaron Crow really burst onto the scene during his dominating Cape Cod season (Collegiate Wood Bat League) this past fall. At 6' 2 215, he is not overly big, but is a solid athlete and easily repeats his mechanics, which may contribute to why his command of a low to mid-nineties fastball (which has hit 98 occasionally) has been outstanding. Crow led the league with a miniscule ERA of 0.67 and has a solid reportoire of secondary pitches, with a slider and change both grading out as average to above-average.

While his Cape campaign was very impressive, his college season was merely good. He was the Tigers' Friday night starter (#1) and threw 117.2 innings in 18 starts, striking out 90.

Crow reminds me a bit of Mike Mussina, and if he picks up where his Cape stint left off during the coming college season, he has the chance to go #1 overall.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 87

Next up> College 1B Justin Smoak.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice read, thanks Greg.

Thanks as always. Crow is one of a handful of players that potentially could vault into the top spot come June. He may be that special.

Keywords... 'could', 'may be'. ;)

I will be paying a lot of attention to this group, even moreso that in previous years.

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

4. Aaron Crow {College RHSP } (21). Missouri right-hander Aaron Crow really burst onto the scene during his dominating Cape Cod season (Collegiate Wood Bat League) this past fall. At 6' 2 215, he is not overly big, but is a solid athlete and easily repeats his mechanics, which may contribute to why his command of a low to mid-nineties fastball (which has hit 98 occasionally) has been outstanding. Crow led the league with a miniscule ERA of 0.67 and has a solid reportoire of secondary pitches, with a slider and change both grading out as average to above-average.

While his Cape campaign was very impressive, his college season was merely good. He was the Tigers' Friday night starter (#1) and threw 117.2 innings in 18 starts, striking out 90.

Crow reminds me a bit of Mike Mussina, and if he picks up where his Cape stint left off during the coming college season, he has the chance to go #1 overall.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 87

Next up> College 1B Justin Smoak.

Great read as always, Greg.

I have read on various sites that Crow lines up well with the Royals, based on alot of what you said plus he is local. Your thoughts?

Great read as always, Greg.

I have read on various sites that Crow lines up well with the Royals, based on alot of what you said plus he is local. Your thoughts?

The two Missouri right-handers that are top of the first-round projections, Crow and HS'er Tim Melville, are in play at #1 overall, but it's possible that the Royals will be fortunate enough to get to choose a local with pick #3.

Melville and Crow both can dial it up to 97-98 and have similar arsenals, so their performance's this spring will go a long way toward helping the pitching-thin Royals make the right choice for them.

The two Missouri right-handers that are top of the first-round projections: Crow and HS'er Tim Melville are in play at #1 overall, but it's possible that the Royals will be fortunate enough to get to choose a local with pick #3.

Melville and Crow both can dial it up to 97-98 and have similar arsenals, so their performance's this spring will go a long way toward helping the pitching-thin Royals make the right choice for them.

I could really see Melville going #1 overall.

From the BA chat.

Quote:

Q: Mike Marinaro from Tampa,FL asks:

Hi Jim. Thanks for taking the time for the chat today. Are there any prep pitchers that are clearly top-of-the-rotation prospects in this draft, similar to Homer Bailey in 2004, Vostad in 2005, Kershaw in 2006, and Jarrod Parker in 2007?

A:

Jim Callis: Missouri HS RHP Tim Melville is the clear No. 1, though I don't think his buzz is quite as great right now as it was for the other guys you've mentioned.

From the BA chat.

Quote:

Q: Mike Marinaro from Tampa,FL asks:

Hi Jim. Thanks for taking the time for the chat today. Are there any prep pitchers that are clearly top-of-the-rotation prospects in this draft, similar to Homer Bailey in 2004, Vostad in 2005, Kershaw in 2006, and Jarrod Parker in 2007?

A:

Jim Callis: Missouri HS RHP Tim Melville is the clear No. 1, though I don't think his buzz is quite as great right now as it was for the other guys you've mentioned.

Sounds to me that he is saying Melville is clearly the top pitcher in the HS ranks--not that he's a clear #1, or top of the rotation guy in the future. But from reports, Melville does seem like he has the goods to be a top of the rotation arm.

Hard to pass up an "ace" material arm, but we really need more positional talent.

All three have Ace potential with Melville having the highest upside. Matusz is the most likely to be successful however.

Hmmmm... this is what makes picking at #4 so difficult. There are bound to be a handful of players who are worthy to be taken with the pick--guys who have the potential to be impact players in the big league--but deciding who to settle on is nerve racking. There are bound to be a lot of second guessing.

Do you feel that Matusz's and Melville's upside is greater than Tillman's? If not, I'd go with Smoak, Hosmer, Beckham, or Alonso (probably in that order).

Hmmmm... this is what makes picking at #4 so difficult. There are bound to be a handful of players who are worthy to be taken with the pick--guys who have the potential to be impact players in the big league--but deciding who to settle on is nerve racking. There are bound to be a lot of second guessing.

Do you feel that Matusz's and Melville's upside is greater than Tillman's? If not, I'd go with Smoak, Hosmer, Beckham, or Alonso (probably in that order).

Greater than Tillman? ... not greater...not really. I would not take Alonso regardless of how well he hits, unless he plays a shockingly better 1B, as he currently is destined for DH.

Greater than Tillman? ... not greater...not really. I would not take Alonso regardless of how well he hits, unless he plays a shockingly better 1B, as he currently is destined for DH.

If neither's potential is greater than Tillman's, I'll take my chances on Loewen, Tillman, and a few other of our young arms panning out, and take my chances on a positional player with the 4th pick.

With this draft being solid on good power bats, I think it'll be a good time to bypass more pitching and take the hitter's route.

So you're not sold on Yonder Alonso, huh? Is his defense that bad?

None of these guys profile as a sure fire ace, ala Price last year or a Verlander type. At the very least a guy at number 4 should have two very definite Plus pitches. Not average to above average, which is pretty generic in prospect profile books. Not that these guys don't have good possibilities, but a Bat at this point looks safer.

If neither's potential is greater than Tillman's, I'll take my chances on Loewen, Tillman, and a few other of our young arms panning out, and take my chances on a positional player with the 4th pick.

With this draft being solid on good power bats, I think it'll be a good time to bypass more pitching and take the hitter's route.

So you're not sold on Yonder Alonso, huh? Is his defense that bad?

Sold that Yonder Alonso could be great? Sure. Sold that he should go as high as #4 in the draft? Nope.

I think that's all Greg meant, too.

Archived